Why do a lot of Americans think that British food is so Bad?

I've visited the US on several occasions and found the food to be ok but not necessarily better. Is it something that goes back years and and the reputation has never changed? The UK now has several of the best restaurants in the world (as voted in various publications) and some of the best known chefs so why... show more I've visited the US on several occasions and found the food to be ok but not necessarily better.
Is it something that goes back years and and the reputation has never changed?
The UK now has several of the best restaurants in the world (as voted in various publications) and some of the best known chefs so why the bad rep.
Update: Vanessa B: I hope that you don't think that I am being anti-American with my question because that was the last thing that I intended. I generalise because the general idea about British food is that it is bad. When I visited the US I ate at many different restaurants and that is because I like good food and... show more Vanessa B: I hope that you don't think that I am being anti-American with my question because that was the last thing that I intended. I generalise because the general idea about British food is that it is bad. When I visited the US I ate at many different restaurants and that is because I like good food and not just fast food. As in the UK there are many cuisines to choose from. I found that like the new UK menus lots of American food was based on traditional ethnic food such as German, Italian and very many Asian cuisines.
Please note that I didn't make any comment about portion size or fat content.

Thanks