how to connect xp(desktop) to vista(laptop) using UTP cable?

i want to connect them for file transfer only.. i dont think i need a router do i??


i have the materials.. but how to process??

1 Answer

  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

    No, if you don't have a switch or router you can use what is called a Crossover ethernet cable to create a file sharing network between the two computers. You'll need to get your hands on the cable from stores like Radio Shack or other computer accessories retailers (Frys). Hope this helps.

    You'll need to create a new home network on your Vista computer. You can use the Network Setup Wizard or set it up manually. Basically, you're going to create a Workgroup named MSHOME by default. Once you get both computers to join this workgroup they'll be networked. When asked, enable File and Print sharing. Now, you can either place the files you want to transfer in the Shared folder, or right click on the folder they are in and click on sharing. This enable sharing. Now the folder will show up on your other computer under My Network Places or My Computer. From here you can just drag and drop the files. Unless you have more than a few gigabytes of data this is not the most efficient way to transfer files. I personally would just purchase a 1GB up to 4GB thumb drive for $19 to $59 dollars. This is easier and also acts as a secondary backup of your data. Plus you can take the flash drive to ANY computer and transfer the files.

    One more thing.... are you sure the cable you have is a Crossover cable? Most people don't have one of these. There is a difference between a regular ethernet patch cable and a ethernet crossover cable, specifically, a couple of wires are crossed over in the cable.

    Good luck!

    Source(s): Long time PC tech
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.