Cody asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

chiuaua problem!?

i have a 1 year old chiuaua who is WAY smaller than all other chiuauas she is full grown and only weighs 2 lbs. she still isnt potty trained and she has taken classes and stuff but it hasnt worked is there any hope for her?

Favorite Answer

you took it to training, have you continued the training since then? it's important to consistantly re-inforce training, even on small dogs.

take your dog out every time it eats, drinks, plays, and awakens from even a short sleep. When your dog pees outside, praise it with play or a treat. If neccesary, keep the dog in an enclosed area, such as the kitchen, do not get angry when the dog pees on the floor, in fact, do not look at the dog, I mutter when I have to clean up messes, and soon enough, my dog got the idea. Be consistant, when you see your dog sneaking off to pee somewhere, take it outside befor it can defecate in the house, and praise praise praise.

BTW, have you taken her to the vet to rule out medical issues? 2lbs means a much much much smaller bladder.

Good luck

• Bex

There is always hope for her! She has a tiny bladder, you have to remember, so take her outside as much as possible!! My pom weighs only 4 pounds and he needs to go outside every 2 hours at the most, more if he's been drinking a lot of water. He can't hold it very long, so there are accidents occasionally but it doesn't mean he's not trained.

Sometimes tiny dogs like that can be trained to use a litter box for when they can't make it outside.

Please don't give up on her! They also make little diapers for dogs if she just can't get it right. She would wear it in the house, and you can still take her outside to potty at regular intervals, and it may save your carpet.

I really believe it is a Chihuahua thing cause I have a Chihuahua and he is about 6 years old and weighs 2.6 lbs and poos and pees everywhere too, I have tried everything to get him to stop even took him to the vet and I dont believe there is any hope. I think he may cause he gets left alone all day and just wants attention or his bladder is just to small to hold it for long but I still love him no matter what.

Tiny dogs are very hard to potty train and some never do learn. Do remember however that because of her size she will need to pee very often and won't be able to hold it for hours in the way that a larger dog can.

Try taking her out often or try litter training her. If you use puppy wee pads and place them in a litter tray, she may start using that tray whenever she has to go. Going outside may be too distracting for her.

My chi is only 4 months old and potty trained on puppy pads she has minimal accidents but only when we let her roam the house we got a gate and mostly keep her in 1 room with the bladder on her being so small its easier for her to get to her puppy pad we also reinforced everytime she used the pad she got a treat but only when she used the pad

She might just need more training, and her bladder is super small, so she would need to potty probably a ton more than she is taken....I have heard of people w/ tiny dogs training them in a litter box...weird, but maybe it would work for her?? I bet she is super cute though!!!

because theses breeds have very small stomachs and intestines they go potty a LOT.

you might want to consider litter training. my neighbor has a terrier/chihuahua mix who is litter trained and she says it makes it a lot easier for her because she works all day.

you could also paper train the dog as well. then you would only have one area that needs to be cleaned up.

good luck.

I have 2 chihuahuas and my 7year old chihuahua still has an accident once in while it just takes a lot of patience and time with a breed like that. your dog is still young so don't give up.

Are you sure she's not a tea-cup? That would explain why she is so small.

Is she having lots of accidents or just sometimes around the house? My dog can still make a mistake and he's almost 4 years old.

Is there any other reasons you would think she is not normal?

I bet it's a teacup.

Chihuahua is known to be hard to potty train, so don't give up! Our 2 y.o. chihuahua(girl) still has accidents sometimes. The 2 y.o boy chihuahua is much better though he does sometimes poop in unimaginable places....