Who is liable for water damage in a condo that leaks into a downstairs condo? negligence not involved?

Recently my boyfriend woke up at 1am to find that a valve had burst near his washing machine and was spraying water all over his kitchen and dining room. He lives in an upstairs condo unit, and the commotion woke his downstairs neighbor as it was leaking into the neighbors kitchen as well. My boyfriends... show more Recently my boyfriend woke up at 1am to find that a valve had burst near his washing machine and was spraying water all over his kitchen and dining room. He lives in an upstairs condo unit, and the commotion woke his downstairs neighbor as it was leaking into the neighbors kitchen as well. My boyfriends Homeowner's insurance is being great and paying for all of my boyfriend's damage, but not for his neighbor's. Although his neighbor has filed a claim with his own insurance company, they are not working well and the neighbor filed a claim with my boyfriend's insurance, which they have dropped. At this point the neighbor has hired an attorney. I guess if there are any insurance adjustors or attorneys out there, (or anyone who has been through this before) what usually ends up happening in a case like this? Most that I'm reading say that my boyfriends insurance ultimately will pay for the neighbors damage, but we are just worried about being sued personally. Serious responses only please.