Gluten Free Dutch Sugar Cookies
1 cup rice flour
1/2 cup tapioca flour
1 cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1 cup Butter Flavor Crisco
1 egg or 1/4 cup liquid egg substitute
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/4 cup potato starch, for kneading
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.Have on hand 2 ungreased cookie sheets.
2. In a small bowl, whish together the flour mix, baking powder, xanthan gum, and salt. Set aside.
3. In the bowl of your mixer, cream sugar and crisco. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients, mixing enough to combine. The dough will be a soft ball. With your hands, knead in enough of the potato starch to make the dough easy to handle and roll out.
4. Using about half at a time, place a piece of plastic wrap over the ball and roll out to about 1/8 inch thickness.
5. Cut into desired shapes and place on pan.
6. Decorate with coloured sugars before baking or use frosting to decorate after baking.
7. (With this dough, you can use all the scraps.) Just scrape them together and roll out again. They will not get tough.
8. Bake for about 13 minutes. Cool very slightly before removing from the pan.