Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsRodents · 1 decade ago

How to care care for a new born mouse?

I found a new born mouse today. It freaked me out at first, but I decided to leave it so the momma could come back for it, but she never came. I didn't think she was going too since the baby mouse was in the middle of my kitchen floor... So, my husband and I decided to try and take care of it. But we have no idea how, I've googled a couple ideas on how to feed it. But I'm not sure they'll work. Any ideas or any knowledge about how to care for this poor thing?

• VN-Cop
    Favorite Answer

feed it milk with an eyedropper.

Find a thin eyedropper, one of this medical devices used in administering eye drops and other things. Warm up some milk in the microwave, so it's a little bit warmer then lukewarm, but just a little bit. Feed the mouse with this, to to start out with. It was on your kitchen floor? I wonder how it got there, you must have mice in your walls. Any cats in your house? They could have moved it. Make it a nice house/nest by using maybe an old shoe box. Use newspaper, old cloths/rags, and maybe some types of grasses. Create a nest for your mouse to fill comfortable, cozy, and at home in. Try and find some type of incubator light, but I'm pretty sure anything would work, such as maybe a light for reading that clips onto something and the stand is bendable; anything that gives off heat, one of those red incubator lights. This is so the mouse won't die of cold, because the mother isn't there. Feed your mouse often, she/he is growing. When she gets old enough wean her from the milk and start feeding her mouse food from the petshop and other things, maybe some veggies; carrots, etc. Buy her a small cage equippted with one of those vacuum water bottles that goes on the side. Use wood shavings. Talk to your local animal control or wildlife refuge about letting your mouse go or not, by this time it should be relatively tame. I do not know if it could survive in the wild, because it hasn't learn how to scavenger on it's own, it has turned into a pet. You may have a small and furry friend for the rest of your life, so when and if you decide your going to care for it, make a wise decision. You don't need anything too complicated to care for your baby mouse, and nothing expensive; remember, simple things will work. I hope this helps and if you have any questions contact a local wildlife reserve in your area who specialize in this kind of stuff.

Call your local ASPCA or police non-emergency number. They can direct you to a wildlife rehabilitator that might take it.

You won't be able to raise it on your own.

EDIT: Completely IGNORE any suggestions to feed milk to this mouse. Cow's milk is not right for the poor thing's digestive system, and may do more harm than good. Make the call.

www.thefunmouse.com has a great forum and tells how to hand rear orphaned pups. They also have day to day pictures to help you tell how old it is. They feed the pups kitten milk replacement(kmr you can get it at petstores and vets). You mix double amount of water for mouse pups. Good luck with the baby!

Source(s): I have 10 fancy mice as pets

You can't take care of the baby mice directly or else the mom might eat them. Help the mom out by giving her more fatty food [not too much though!]. Provide warm bedding like felt. Don't use towels or anything with strings because they can strangle the babies.

You are so lucky!!!!I really want a hamster!!!You should try feed it sunflower seeds and give it a big tray to live in but the tray has to be high so it can't escape!

Peanut butter is the mouse`s favourite.

• Fat

get a cage for it, and put bedding in, toys such as a wheel, but woud you really trust stangers?! go to your local petsmart or pet co. and ask them if its OK to keep a stray mouse, if it is ok then ask them for mouse books, (yes they have those) for taking care of it.

hope i helped!

Dog Lover:)

Feed it lots of cheese..

Feed it.