chica_zarca asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Does eating potatoes give dogs Pancreatitis (please read additional details)?

We took our St. Bernard to the vet on 7/6 and they did blood work, xrays, stool sample, the whole nine yards, and it turns out she has worms and a mild case of pancreatitis.

We gave her 3 doses of meds for the worms last week and she gets another 3 doses next week. But the vet still isn't sure where the pancreatitis came from.

But anyway, my mom just read an article saying that dogs can't digest potatoes like humans can. It just sits in their system and the starch turns to glucose which will make them sick.

She has been throwing up a little about 4-5 times a week and it looks like there's tiny spots of blood in it. We've had her on a bland-food-only diet for a week and then a bland food diet with a couple table scraps for about another week. We did give her a couple potato skins one day and a tablespoon or two of leftover mashed potatoes the other day. Could that be what's making her sick?

She has another vet appt on Monday, but I'm just curious if it's all because of the potatoes?

We also have a Cocker Spaniel which always eats the same exact things as the St. Bernard and he's healthy as can be. It's just the St. who's losing weight and getting sick.

Favorite Answer

Here is a list of toxic foods and two websites to check out.

CHOCOLATE: Best to remember – dark chocolate, especially baker’s chocolate, is the worst when it comes to this type of “poisoning”. Chocolate contains a substance called Theobromine (similar to caffeine), which in toxic doses can cause heart attacks. As little as 2 oz baker’s chocolate can be fatal for a small dog. If you suspect your dog has gotten into chocolate call your vet immediately.

GRAPES/RAISINS: Surprisingly, this is a toxic fruit for dogs. They contain an unknown toxin, which can cause acute renal (kidney) failure. As little as a handful at a time can be deadly.

ONIONS: A substance in onions, disulfide, is harmless to humans but toxic to not only dogs but cats, horses, sheep and cattle. It causes hemolytic anemia, and as little as 2 slices a week can damage red blood cells, impairing their ability to carry oxygen.

NOTE: Garlic and onion are in the same family, while small amounts of garlic will not harm your dog, too much is not good.

LIVER: In small amounts liver is very good for your dog (less than 3 servings a week). Large amounts cause vitamin A toxicity (hypervitaminosis A). This can lead to bone problems, weight loss and anorexia. Also, never feed liver if your dog is taking vitamin A supplements, and always cook it before feeding.

BONES: Sterilized bones that are purchased aren’t the problem. Raw meaty bones and chicken bones are prone to splinter and lodge in the throat, or worse, the intestines, in which case they can perforate the lining causing internal bleeding and possibly death. This doesn’t mean “no bones” – ask the butcher for soup bones, bring water to a full boil then cook the bones for approximately 20 minutes (depending on size).

NOTE: The first time I did this I removed much, not all, of the fat and meat from the outside of the bone. My dog’s stomachs weren’t used to such a treat and I didn’t want to cause diarrhea. However, I did save the scraps and fed them on their food at a later date.

RAW EGGS: Cooked eggs are a very healthy treat for dogs, raw egg whites contain a protein called Avidin. This protein depletes your dog of B vitamins, specifically Biotin, which is essential to growth and coat condition. Also, raw eggs may contain bacteria, such as Salmonella.

RAW MEAT/POULTRY: Once again bacteria are the main problem – Salmonella and Clostridium, both can be very serious and costly to treat. Just remember, if you feed meat, cook it first.

NOTE: Best to avoid pork, especially bacon (which contains sodium nitrate).

MILK AND MILK PRODUCTS: FYI, 50% of dogs are lactose intolerant (just like people!) – they don’t produce the enzyme Lactase, therefore they are unable to break down Lactose (milk sugar). This can cause gas, diarrhea and abdominal discomfort.

NUTS: Walnuts can cause gastroenteritis and are considered poisonous to dogs. Macadamia nuts contain an unknown compound, which can cause muscle tremors, weakness and paralysis of the hindquarters – luckily these symptoms last a short time. In general, nuts are high in phosphorus and may contribute to the formation of bladder stones.

NOTE: Peanuts are a legume, “from the earth”, not grown on trees. They are not harmful when used in small amounts.

POTATO: Cooked and mashed potatoes are good for dogs. However, poisonous alkaloids (Solanum) are present in green sprouts and green potato skins.

NOTE: Poisonings occur in people as well as dogs!

TOMATO PLANTS: Stems and leaves contain oxalates, which can cause bladder stones.

NOTE: The fruit itself is not the culprit, however high amounts of vitamin C can cause gastrointestinal distress.

RHUBARB: This plant (especially the leaves) also contains oxalates.

**TURKEY SKIN: Known to cause acute Pancreatitis in dogs. Fat trimmings Can cause pancreatitis. **

PIPS: Found in the seeds of apples, pears, plums, peaches and apricots – ALL CONTAIN ARSENIC!

NUTMEG: Is a hallucinogen in dogs.

BABY FOOD: When I worked as a veterinary assistant we commonly gave chicken baby food to dogs and cats that wouldn’t eat. Just be careful that the baby food you are feeding doesn’t contain onion powder – some do. See onion poisoning for more information.

MUSHROOMS: In all honesty, any wild growing mushroom scares me, and if my dogs are anywhere near some, I go the other way – you just don’t know. Store bought mushrooms are fine, but do you really want you’re dog to develop a taste for them?

BROCCOLI: There has been a bit of confusion where broccoli is concerned. Broccoli is very good for dogs, however, if the daily intake exceeds more than 10% of the animals diet – problems can occur. The toxic substance is isothiocyanate and can cause gastrointestinal irritation.

NOTE: Broccoli toxicity was first noted in dairy cattle raised in California. When there was an over abundant broccoli crop, it was fed to the cattle. Problems may have occurred because cattle have rumens and digest things much more thoroughly, therefore taking in more of the toxic substance.

• Daisy

I wouldn't know if potatoes can cause pancreatitis because I'm not a vet.

What I do know is that potatoes can in fact be dangerous to dogs. They can't digest them and even potato peels can be dangerous. You should probably let your vet know, just in case.

When my shih tzu had pancreatitis the vet said it was caused by too much fat in her diet. We traced it back to the turkey and chicken SKIN we had been letting her have.

Hope your girl feels better soon!

• I know that my dogs can't eat potatoes. They throw up every time! So now, no more potatoes!

I've never heard of that...but it very well could be. Possibly the same reason you shouldn't give them chocolate, it's all sugar which turns into glucose, etc...I would ask your vet at the check up.

Please don't give your dog table scraps...there are too many things that we eat that they cannot digest properly or could potentially kill them. If she needs a bland diet, cook up some ground beef, rice and green beans for her. Or you could use oatmeal instead of the rice. But table scraps are not good for dogs, cats, rats, bats, mice, hamsters, etc.

Potato and potato stems, contain oxalates, which can affect the digestive, nervous, and urinary systems.