Does anyone know of any herbal remedies including Chinese that are as good as a PPI?

Secondly, remedies as above to help with other forms of digestive discomfort including altered stools? Please don't suggest prebiotics or the like they don't work.

Update:

Doctor Frank - thanks. My lifestyle is changing and I wanted to move from the PPIs to something more natural. I'll leave the question open for a while.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Kelly
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Just as PPI's aren't always effective for everyone who takes them, herbs can also affect different people in different ways. So having said that, and hoping that you'll check out any advice you get with your healthcare provider, below are a few herbs that herbalists sometimes prescribe to treat disorders related to gastric acid production.

Licorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra) is often used to treat and prevent stomach ulcers. You’d want to take the deglycyrrhizinated (DGL) form because the pure form can cause problems with blood pressure. The DGL form comes in wafers and tablets and has very few side effects.

Aloe vera gel extract is believed to decrease the production of stomach acid, however sometimes you need to take it for several weeks before it starts to work. It is also an anti-inflammatory agent which can be beneficial. You would want to make sure that the extract was commercially prepared and didn’t contain any aloin or aloe-emodin. Don’t use aloe juice either because it can cause diarrhea.

The Ayurvedic and Chinese traditions use Turmeric (Curcuma longa) to treat digestive disorders. You have to be careful though because too much turmeric can have the opposite effect and actually cause ulcers. This is where it's important to be treated by someone who knows what they're doing.

Since you mentioned altered stools, you might want to look into Bilberry (Vaccinium myrtillus). It is used widely in Europe to treat bowel problems. It comes as an extract or as dried whole berries (which, when crushed, are used to make a tea). Avoid fresh bilberries though because they can cause diarrhea.

Sometimes Peppermint is used to treat bowel problems but it is not recommended for people with acid reflux since it can be irritating and aggravate existing problems.

Curious George mentioned this already and even though it's not an herbal treatment, acupuncture and acupressure (often in conjunction with herbal treatments) have been used to effectively treat severe acid reflux. So you might want to consider that as an option as well.

One other word of caution, if you’re taking PPI’s because it’s been determined that you have an H. pylori infection, herbal treatments aren’t usually a good substitute, though they can be a great complement.

I hope you find a solution that works for you!

Source(s): http://www.healthandage.com/html/res/com/ConsCondi... Nutraceuticals edited by A. J. Roberts, M. E. O’Brien, and G. Subak-Sharpe, 2001, The Berkley Publishing Group, NY, NY.
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Speaking strictly about Chinese herbal medicine, a certified or licensed acupuncturist in your area could definitely set up a treatment regimen that would help both with the digestion and the altered bowels.

As with allopathic medicine, it is extremely important to have a complete history and current picture of your health and life-style to accurately diagnosis and treat within the parameters of Chinese medicine.

Herbal medicine is very effective when used properly. However, you wouldn't just take a handful of pharmaceuticals at random to see if they worked. The same applies to herbal medicine.

You can start looking for a nationally board certified acupuncturist here: http://www.nccaom.org

Hope this helps you reach your health goals.

Source(s): Nationally Board Certified and Licensed (in my state) Acupuncturist.
  • 1 decade ago

Neither I am afraid do any of the other natural remedies. One would need to know exactly what your problem is and what are your symptoms. Also lifestyle issues like your weight and smoking habits. Have you been investigated?

I am old enough that I was practising medicine before any acid lowering drugs were available. It was hell for the patients, who suffered chronic pain and often bleeding and perforation, which was potentially fatal. We used milk drips and fairly drastic surgery, as these were the only options! It is foolish for you to reject safe, effective therapy and look for quack remedies!

Source(s): GP for more years than I care to remember
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

You can get rid of acid reflux and heartburn with this natural method https://tr.im/aE9Dn

Usually, heartburnThe most common symptom of acid reflux disease (also known as gastroespohageal reflux disease, or GERD). Heartburn feels like a burning pain in the center of the chest. It is caused by acid from the stomach backing up into the esophagus. is a symptom of acid reflux disease (GERD) Also known as Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD). Describes the condition of backflow of stomach acid into the esophagus which frequently happens when the lower esophageal sphincter (LES) relaxes more often than it should and/or at inappropriate times. The symptoms of acid reflux disease typically occur on 2 or more days a week.. And if you suffer from persistent heartburn on two or more days a week—and you’ve treated it and changed your diet—it could be due to acid refluxBackflow of stomach acid into the esophagus. Acid reflux frequently happens when the lower esophageal sphincter (LES) relaxes more often than it should and/or at inappropriate times. This allows harsh stomach juices to back up into the esophagus. disease. But only your doctor can tell you if these are signs of acid reflux disease.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    6 years ago

Hi,

Here is a natural remedy to cure your acid reflux/gerd and hearth burn http://www.goobypls.com/r/rd.asp?gid=568

Acid reflux disease, also known as gastro-esophageal reflux disease, or GERD, occurs due to the coexistence of two medical conditions. The first acid reflux disease contributing condition is a retrograde flow of stomach contents into the esophagus. However, the reflux itself does not necessarily lead to gastro-esophageal reflux disease symptoms or histologic changes, and can occur among healthy individuals as well. In this case, the process is referred to as "physiologic gastroesophageal reflux".

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.