For the endothermic reaction N2O4(g) 2NO2(g) what is the effect of doubling the volume of the reaction vessel

the reaction will shift left to right

the reaction will shift right to left

there will be no further reaction

what happens depends on the temperature

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

True, a change in temperature WILL cause a change; BUT the changing of volume itself is enough, keeping the temperature constant, for the reaction:

N2O4(g) ⇌2NO2(g) ∆ +ve

to be moved left; by decreasing the volume

to be moved to the right; by increasing the volume (your first option listed)

Using the qualitative "Le Chatelier's Principle", increasing the volume will, using Boyles Law, reduce the pressure inside the container. So, the reaction will move in such a direction that the reduction in pressure instantaneously caused by doubling the volume will be partlally overcome. To increase the resulting pressure is achieved by the reaction moving to the side that causes more molecules of gas to be produced - i.e. the right.

Temperature changes: increase temp, reaction moves to right (endothermic - think of it as heat being a reactant that is required to keep the reaction from cooling down because it is absobing heat out of the surroundings)

• 1 decade ago

The reaction will shift to the right. To work this out use chetalier's principle (i cant spell). There is 1 mole of gas on the left hand side of the reaction and two on the right hand side of the reaction. So doubling the volume will cause pressure of the vessel to drop, and so will make the reaction go to the right because there are more moles of gas on the right hand side and therefore moving the reaction to the right will counteract the decrease in pressure.

I hope this helps

• 1 decade ago

Shift to the right. Two moles of gas on the right, only one on the left.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.