What's RGB and PAL settings and what do they do?

Not that technically minded when it comes to tv, sky, dvd etc., so advise welcome. Recently we bought a new LCD TV and and I've never been able to get DVDs to play properly. They start to play, then after a couple of minutes they just go off. It's been annoying me, but i've just been using my PC to... show more Not that technically minded when it comes to tv, sky, dvd etc., so advise welcome. Recently we bought a new LCD TV and and I've never been able to get DVDs to play properly. They start to play, then after a couple of minutes they just go off. It's been annoying me, but i've just been using my PC to watch DVDs. We've also noticed that the sound on Sky+ skips and cracks, and the picture freezes and jumps, block style, but not all the time, sometimes its fine, but its ruining Big Brother for us (sad, I know ). Been surfing this forum, randomly, not for anything in particular (sometimes you get some really useful info you didnt know you needed!) and came across talk about RGB and PAL settings on the Sky+ box. There was no info about what difference the settings make, just that it makes a difference. I have checked and our box was set on PAL, so I tried changing it to RGB. DVDs are now playing great!! Will that make a difference to the sound and picture problem too? What is the difference between these settings? I have gold plated flat scart cables, which cost me £29.99 each, so I thought they'd be good quality and wouldnt cause a problem, have checked they're properly fitted, so ruled that out of the equation, do you think it will be the RGB setting at fault? All the channels seem to be ok just now, but its usually at night the problem is worse... What do you guys think?
1 answer 1