Transformers (1986) vs. Transformers (2007)?

Which do you prefer? and if you didn't watch the original Transformers movie, PLEASE DON'T ANSWER! Also give me reasons why you prefer that version over the other.

I personally, prefer the original Transformers Movie over the live action counter-part. I'm not saying that Michael Bay's version was bad, it was OK, but I didn't like how they protrayed the Transformers as supporting characters. Also the original movie had a better storyline, cheesy but clever dialouge, and greater character development. But that is just my opinion.

Favorite Answer

I CAN'T answer the question you asked because I didn't see the original (although I was a fan of the cartoons) and I know you told people like me not to answer but I just want to say something. The new Transformers was a good movie, I did really enjoy it, but that being said I had a hard time watching it. They never really focused in well on the robots, the fight scenes were a tease, you knew who was fighting but not what was happening. I like action flicks, and while this was an action movie I felt like it got most of it's feel from the camera's movements and NOT the movie itself. I felt like some scenes were so rushed that you could barely comprehend them while other scenes (looking for the glasses in the bedroom for instance) took too long and we really wouldn't have missed 30 seconds of that if it were cut short. I'm with you on the whole "Transformers as supporting characters" thing, I got the same impression. I'm all for pretty girls and the human element but even that was lacking at times. A good rental, I'd probably be annoyed at myself if I hadn't seen it once on the big screen, but not worth the price of another theater ticket in my opinion.

I agreed wholeheartedly. I love TF (1986) better. To me, that's Transformers. Just look at the current live action film....what the hell are those things look like? Robots? You consider that Frenzy a robot too? Give me a break. And what does Megatron look like? A freakish alien! Not that they aren't but....you get what I mean.

TF (1986) was on the other hand, so fresh and vibrant (at that time). A better storyline, no doubt. There were so many characters that I love, most notably of course Hot Rod and I was so proud when he became Rodimus Prime. I know many didn't like him and possibly hated him for partly causing the demise of Optimus Prime but hey....this is what you call a change of face....you can't expect all the old timers to go on forever. The movie also had some of the best musics from any animated movie. Simply awesome. There was absolutely nothing that I could complain about the movie. Sure, I cried when Prime died but the truth was, I was actually growing sick and tired of all the same faces. And Rodimus wasn't all that bad a leader. I think he's a seriously misunderstood character. The movie also showcased more characters, unlike the live action film which focused more on what....humans? Is this supposed to be a Transformers film or another one of those alien invasion film? Gosh....

There was obviously more character development in the cartoon movie but Spielberg mentioned that there will be more of that in the next movie. I consider myself one of Transformers' biggest fans and owned every toy I could get my hands on starting in 1984. But I have to say the 1986 cartoon movie was unwatchable. I watched it a few years ago when I heard about the live action movie in the works and the music to the cartoon movie was rediculous. Blatenly outdated now but even back then it sucked. I saw they re-released it on DVD in 2006 celebrating it's 20 year anniversary. The only extra that DVD should have come with was an apology! Just poorly done. I do agree that the plot was more in depth than the live action movie but I have faith that Spielberg's movies to come will take care of that need from the fans. I've been talking for two decades about how if they would make a live action movie of Transformers, it would be the best movie of all time and I was right.

2007

I like both. Both have good and bad points to begin with (The animated version has a powerhouse cast, very detailed, smooth action and a kick-*** soundtrack, but it has a plot hole wherein the American TransFormers series did not introduce the new characters and Metroplex - although this was introduced in the Japanese release as "Scramble City". In the live action movie the TransFormers race was believable to begin with and the interaction of the Autobots with humans are hilarious, but the fight scenes makes you dizzy and it was the army and the air force that actually defeated most of the Decepticons >:P ) So I guess I can equate both as ok....

I also like the original transformers, why cause they also has transformers that were animals too, that was pretty cool i thought! and the one animal that i like was rat trap I thought he was neat!!

1986

1986 it had Orsen Wells, 2007 was directed by the worst director in the history in movies.