My disability ins.co has a clause in my contract allowing them to reclaim my lump sum SSA back pay.?

They are permitted to collect the initial awarded amount for every month they paid me more than that amount. How are they permitted to take most of my COLA increases for this 3 year period.My policy clearly states, all COLA are mine to keep. I'm confused as to how they are permitted to bill me an overpayment... show more They are permitted to collect the initial awarded amount for every month they paid me more than that amount. How are they permitted to take most of my COLA increases for this 3 year period.My policy clearly states, all COLA are mine to keep. I'm confused as to how they are permitted to bill me an overpayment for the first month I became eligable for SSD:It is known, that SSA pays a month behind, IE , if I first became eligable for SSA on May 1,04, my first check would be June 04.Actually,I will never get that one month payment for May. The insurance co. did pay me my full benefit amount that month without any reduction, however, If they had actually reduced it, I would have been very short of funds that month, and not able to pay my bills.They have successfully done the above retrospectively, by billing me for 23 days in May 2004.How are they allowed to collect from me, money I did not receive. I got what amounts to 7 checks for 2004,it would have been 8 if May was paid to me.