What do you think of the idea of everyone being made organ donors?

The medical chief is proposing that we are all made organ donors unless we opt out. What do you think of this idea?

Link to an article here: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/health/ar...

Best Answer

i personally am an organ donor. As far as I am concerned when I am dead they can have whatever they may need to save someone else life, I'm not using it anymore. I have known two people that have either received or needed a donor organ.

But I think making everyone a donor automatically is a little creepy. That should be at least one choice about your body that the government doesn't have control over.

In Singapore, this system is already in place... All citizens are in except for certain religion where if they want to donate, then they will have to opt in.( Only certain organ are included, not all...eg kidneys, cornea ...)It had also sparked a debate here where some did not to be in as they felt that they were forced and not given any option.And that,the hospital will just take without even considering whether that person can still be saved or not (nobody can actually define when the person is really dead- Doctors said that when the person is brain dead, the chances of recovery is less but of coz, the family will disagree as they want to keep their loved ones alive....)

However, I'm of a mind that I agree with this system as like what some of the other Yahoo answerers said... When I'm gone, at least some parts of me are useful to someone who needs it more than I do (considering by then, I"m no longer alive). At least, I'll still be able to contribute to society...And also, I feel for those whose family members (esp the young ones) died due to lack of organ donations....

There are actually not any substantial religions in the U. S. that are against donation. I even have positioned the source under so human beings can verify the perspectives that their faith or denomation has on the subject of donation i'm a grateful kidney/pancreas recipient, and that i'm greater suitable than chuffed to be certain maximum of individuals suppport it. i'm additionally listed as a donor besides the actual incontrovertible fact that I even have scientific condtions (and clearly they'd't use my kidneys or pancreas). The medical doctors can decide for on the time of my demise if the different organs could be utilized.

Very good question :-)

My husband and I have very different views on this subject but I believe that if I am gone, and can help save a life it is a benefit in itself. I also see that if it were me or anyone in my family that needed an organ, we would gladly except one from a doner to save our lives so why not return the favor.

At this time, I am not an organ doner but would like to sign up in the future. As stated, my reasons are pretty selfish. To be honest, I am totally 100% terrified of dying even though I have lived a wonderful and fullfilling 38 + years. The only problem I am having right now is the thought of reincarnation so to speak. If for some ungodly reason I do come back to life, I want my body to be intact. I know it is a stupid thought, but it is just how I feel at this time.

But, as I have stated, I am 100% behind organ donation and know that so many people could benefit. I promise that before I pass, I will become one and help someone else live as a fullfilling life as I have.

I think it's a good thing - it should of course be possible to opt out of giving certain organs - lots of people want to keep their eyes for instance and of course, certain religions would want to be exempt. It's so sad that hundreds of lives could be saved each year if only more donors would come forward. Of course, it is such a personal thing and no-one should be forced to donate. The statistics say that 8 out of 10 people would donate but only 4 out of 10 have registered to do so - that shows that most people want to but just haven't got around to registering.

I have not registered I have to admit - I am worried that once I do, I will killed the next day!! Crazy I know but that's how people think. Most of Europe already have the new proposed system in place.

• GPC

I personally am an organ donor, however, I don't think people should become one automatically. In certain religious beliefs it is thought that if you are buried with any part of your body removed, you will be denied access to heaven. I believe that if my organs are donated to someone else to save their life, that is the most noble thing any individual can do for another, however, people should have the right to choose.

Just read that they have the "Opt out" part... still not convinced this is the greatest idea but I'm not specifically opposed to it.

I thought what theyw ere saying was that unless they specifically know you dont want to donate then they were going to take from you anyway. I think if this idea gets off the ground then anyone carrying a donor card will naturally be used as a donor, then anyone found not carrying a card...but also not carrying anything to object to it will be used as a donor. i kind of think more people would donate anyway but its getting round to filling in the forms etc so i think most people would be OK with it. But if they introduce it then they will also have to make some kinda card for those who want to state that they DO NOT want to be a donor...then for those who feel that strongly about not being a donor they can make sure they are covered. I dont have a donor card but would happily be a donor myself. I do think it will heavily reduce the numbers of people waiting for donors so I think its worth a shot. I mean we keep talking recently about recycling carrier bags to improve the environment etc....surely we can be generous enough to allow our own selves to be recycled for the good of human kind? Cool question!!!!!!!

I think our human rites are being stripped more and more away from us.I wanna see if the government produce opting out cards.It's also open to abuse from the government.I don't trust them selling organs off so the politicians can line their pockets more.It will come to a point when if you've got the money you can buy an organ over a poor person.It'll be a class issue again like majority of things in this country!!

I say why not? If you really don't want to, then you can still opt out. But why not donate? When you're dead it's not like you're going to be using your organs anymore. Why not give someone else a chance at a healthy, happy life? There are hundreds of thousands of people on a waiting list to get something. Why not donate and help out?

I think that's a great idea. After all, we can still choose not to. But it would be more of an effort (all of 5 minutes probably) filling in the form. I think now, a lot of people would like to be a donor but don't know how, forget to do it, or just plain can't be bothered to fill in the form.