Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

albert s asked in HealthOptical · 1 decade ago

do my eyes get 'lazy' , from using reading glasses?

I (46 yrs old) discovered that I need reading glasses 2-3 months ago. Bit of a shock, but also a relief, because i realised I stopped reading books because of it. I ve been using them eversince. (+1,25).

I have the feeling that I need them more and more, eg also for reading on computerscreens. Does the use of glasses make your eyesight worse? Do eyes get lazy?

Favorite Answer

No...the reading glasses do NOT make your eyes worse, or "lazy"...

What you and most people around the age of 40 are suffering from is presbyopia. This happens when the crystalline lens loses the ability to focus on objects up close. People will complain that they need longer arms, because when they hold their reading material at where they *USED* to be able to read, its blurry and they have to hold it out at arm's length.

When you are younger, most people have no problem being able to see far away and up close with their regular distance glasses on. As you age, the eyes ability to focus from far to near decreases and the need for a multi-focal lens develops. Wearing a lined bifocal gives you a prescription for far away and up close. Progressive, or no-line bifocals, give you a prescription for ALL distances, which is much closer to your natural vision and give you that without the unsightly lines and without the jumping in vision.

If you've never worn distance glasses and are just now starting to use reading glasses, your doctor may say that its fine for you to just use the reading glasses. I find that most of my patients think that having to carry reading glasses with them all the time is a hassle, as they either forget them or lose them. They will usually wind up getting a pair of glasses with the progressive lenses in them to wear all the time so they don't have to constantly be pulling out reading glasses every time they want to see something up close. If you do not require a distance prescription, they will be made plano (no correction) in the upper portion of the lens, with an intermediate portion in the middle ranges, and then your reading prescription towards the bottom. These lenses are also excellent for the computer if you find that you are wearing your reading glasses when you are at your computer.

So, your eyes are not getting lazy. It just all part of the aging process and totally normal...

**One poster above me mentioned about getting a pair of glasses for every distance. For some people, that can be 3 or more pairs of glasses to keep track of. That's a real hassle. I would recommend a pair of Varilux Comfort progressive lenses with an anti-reflective coating for glare reduction. This would give you ONE pair of glasses that does it all. What more is you can put them on and leave them on and your whole world will be clear at every distance...

Source(s): Certified Optician

The reason for not being able to see print in a book at the age of 46 when you could at age 45 is because the crystalline lens in your eye is continuing to grow. A muscle pushes the crystalline lens fatter when focusing closer is desired. The muscle needs room to make this push and since at the same time the lens is growing and the eyeball is not, there is less and less room to give the muscle the needed power. The fattening of the lens for close work is called accommodation. When the lens can no longer accommodate for reading because of aging, the condition is called presbyopia. A comfortable reading distance is considered to be 14 inches.

A teenager can accommodate about 14 diopters, which allow that person to focus as close as about 3 inches. At about 45 years old, there is only about 4 diopters accommodation, resulting in only being able to focus as close as 10 inches. At 50 years old it typically is down to 2 diopters and 20 inches, unfortunately about 6 inches beyond normal reading range.

The use of reading glasses of the wrong strength can make your eyes tired but not worse. Your eyes will not get lazy from reading glasses with presbyopia. Be sure though that you need the same strength in each eye. If you're unsure, you should see an eye doctor. If you are looking at your computer screen from a distance different from a book, then use a different power reading glass.

One thing to think about; the amount of light you have will determine the need to use your reading glasses, especially in the early stages of presbyopia. I'm 54 and use +1.75 to +2.00 and I can still read without glasses if the light is bright enough.

If you are tired of having to put on glasses everytime you want to read, then you can wear half-eyes and look above for distance, or get bifocals, trifocals, or progressive lenses. Contact lenses are possible but the typical method used is that one eye would be corrected for near vision, while the other would be corrected (if needed), for far vision. It's difficult to get used to, but some people do. Surgery is still experimental, and has to do with widening the gap between the sclera and the lens so the muscle can do it's work.

I'm only 40... but I'm a near-sighted nerd.... however, I have not yet reached the point where I require reading glasses.

... on the other hand, why should my eyes be any different than the rest of me.... Mr. Lazy.

No, not at all. The trick is finding the right strength to the right purpose. I have kitchen glasses, reading glasses, puter glasses (tinted to reduce glare), and some super close up glasses.

I would advise you to get one of each strength.

No, our eyes don't get lazy, they just get old.

Generally, it works the other way around. Your eyes will get lazier if you *don't* wear your glasses. As you age, your eyes get weaker anyway, so keep using the glasses if you want to be able to see the pages in front of you. LOL

Your eyes can get to where they only do as much work as they are needing to do, so if you wear your reading glasses all the time it can make them more dependant on the glasses. If you are concerned, make sure you are only using them for reading, take frequent breaks, and use only the strength you need to see clearly, no more. I hope this helps you some.

Restore Your Eyesight Without Surgery : http://eye.clearvisionexercise.com/

it is forecast of u get your eyes lazy! u should protect ur eyes carefully. reading on computersreeens too long is bad for ur eyes, so u should have a bit rest after 2or 3 hours.wish u keep a good fit!

• ?

Sounds like you quite possibly need another prescription change.

welcome to the club