Whats the best thing to use on very bad sun burns?

I took my kids to the water park but forgot the sunblock with much regret, Im in pain with blisters, what should i use?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • sur4ed
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Any product like solarcaine. Something containing aloe (to heal) and lidocaine (to stop the excruciating pain).

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

cold water is the best/only first aid when you burn yourself - 20 minutes under the tap and no less. NEVER ice or vinegar or milk or butter or green tea or mustard or toothpaste or sunscreen or semen or vaseline or tomatoes or vanilla extract or yogurt or sour cream or egg white or lavender oil or cocoa butter or salt or tea bags or potato or shaving cream or olive oil or baking soda or banana peel or petroleum jelly or whipped cream or avocado or bacon grease or corn starch or tumeric or lemon juice or curd or pickle juice or soy sauce or urine or talcum powder or mashed strawberries or exfoliating scrub or mayonaise- not until the skin is fully healed!

alcohol might help with the pain but it is a serious risk as it will dehydrate you - so don't drink any. ibuprofen or aspirin will help but larger burns are often accompanied by stomach ulcers, so tylenol/panadol is best for pain if you are gonna tough it out. drink plenty of water or energy drinks that don't have caffeine (gatorade)

i would advise that you cover the burnt area with white soft paraffin (white petroleum) or aqueous cream bp. (check the links below and see if you can find a local equivalent). wash the burn and reapply every 4-6 hours - cover with cling wrap if you wish to cover with clothes - this will stop your clothes getting covered with paraffin and maintains the burn.

cling wrap alone is ok if you can't get hold of any paraffin. it also acts as a protective artificial skin - helping retain moisture and protect from further damage and pain. cling wrap is cheap and clean off the roll. in Australia ambulances often use this when someone has been burnt. - please note that cling wrap isn't always practical, like on your face.

the paraffin imitates the natural oils, creating a seal stopping water leaving the body and reduces pain by protecting sensitised nerves. both of these factors improve healing - good stuff stays in, bad stays out - that is one job of healthy skin. aloe is good coz it remoisturises but that moisture can be quickly lost as the skin can't contain fluids. so put aloe on, and then the paraffin on over the top. if there is broken skin leave out the aloe - just paraffin.

http://www.doorone.com.au/xGS-Aqueous_Cream~NS-1~l...

http://www.pharmacyonline.com.au/david-craig-paraf...

http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/cvs/gateway/detail?prodi...

email if you still have questions - send photos feedingthedogcustard@hotmail.com

finally if you are really worried go to a hospital that has a burns unit or plastic surgeons. serious sunburn i.e. blisters (and all other burns) should be seen by a burns trained doctor or nurse.

Source(s): Burns RN
  • 1 decade ago

Jergens extra moisture lotion and dont pop the blisters. take ibuprfen 2 every 4 hours as this will reduce the swelling and the nerves wont hurt as much. try cool compresses with aloe vera in it and be very careful u have whats called 2nd degree sunburn so don't mess with it if u lose your appetite or feel light headed go to the er as u could have sun poisoning. good luck and i hope that u get better soon...

Source(s): treated my sunburns
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Cold water...the more the better. Cool packs on the worst areas. Once I accidentally got a very bad burn, so I put on a long sleeved shirt and thin pants over my suit, wore sun screen and a big hat, and soaked in someone's cold pool for about 2 hours. It took almost all the ouch! out. If you can stand to shower or use the tub...

Aleve/Motrin/etc.

Aloe Vera (some people swear by it. Buy at drug store or health food store and store in refrigerator for a cool treat.)

I like Lidocaine cream, or something like that, to numb it, especially for sleeping.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

For pain, there is a first aid spray that numbs for a little while and it has aloe in it. You can get prescribed this zinc stuff for burns which is good to have on hand if u can get a chance to go to a doc.

• 3 years ago

there are various stuff which could help. in spite of you do, do not use creams, oils or creams because of the fact they're going to truly agitate it and make it a lot worse! SOLARCAINE is what i take advantage of for my complete kin. There are a pair of distinctive types, yet one in each and every of them has burn alleviation. Smells humorous yet works wonderfully and you may %. it up and maximum pharmacies/grocery shops. Aquaphor therapeutic ointment will help heal somewhat swifter whilst protecting you moisturized. warning, that's variety of greasy feeling...yet once you harm who cares suited? :-) you additionally can take a funky tub/bathe to help cool your self down. Ibuprofen and different soreness meds, have faith it or not, can help with the soreness. Hydrocortisone is surprising to apply on smaller greater painful or itchy areas. better of success! i wish the soreness is going away rapidly :)

• 1 decade ago

aloe vera, it's best if you use it straight from the plant. You can get plants normally at any local store that sells little plants. you cut off a piece and open it up, you can either lay it flat on the skin or just smear the jell over your body. :-) good luck

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Aloe or Vitamin E Cream. My husband was given Vitamin E cream for a burn on his palm, by the burn center. It did work well too, like Aloe.

• 1 decade ago

Aloe

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Go to Walmart, or any local store. They sell a cooling gel that you just rub on the sunburn. It only cost a few dollars and it works.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.