Bailey
Bailey asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 1 decade ago

when machine washing bed pillows, how do you throughly dry them?

Favorite Answer

I put mine in the dryer on high heat with clean tennis balls. Do not crowd the load with too many pillows at a time to ensure adequate air flow around the pillows. Two standard or queen at a time or one king generally take about 40 minutes on high in my dryer.

I always have, but there are a few ideas to keep your pillows from loosing shape or getting lumpy... ideally the best method I think is in a front loaders that has a delicate or even hand wash cycle as they are much more gentle than the top loaders. But don't be dismayed, if you have a top loader there is a really great way to wash pillows: fill the machine and soak the pillows stop the machine from agitating unless you have an extremely gentle cycle. Soak for at least 15 minutes at a lukewarm temperature unless cold water wash is mentioned on the pillow tag. After soaking skip the agitation cycle and set it to spin on low speed for a brief time, then repeat with clean, cold rinse water( again skipping the agitation and using the spin of low for only as long as needed to remove excess water. If you can lay the pillow to air dry on a mesh netting in the heat of the sunshine, you'll find it helps to not only freshen and purify your pillow but it'll cut down on drying time, expect it to be damp for a day or two. This can also be done without using the washer by soaking in a bathtub or laundry basin too... but then you'd need to squeeze the pillow with a large absorbent towel. Just remember to avoid the friction, that's what turns a comfy pillow into a clumps of lumps. If your pillow concern is just the outer surface and not the fibre inside then simply wipe the outer fabric with a wet soapy cloth, rinse quickly and hang it on the line.

omg, this question is great. i was so mad cause it was taking about a week for my pillows to dry, even after i threw them in the dryer. what i finally did is washed them again, cause by that time they were humid and musty, then i grabbed some of those cloth hangers made specifically for pants and just hung the pillow on those. then i hung those on the clothesline, they were dry that same night. if you just throw them over the clothesline they dont dry, but i figure you know this by now.

I put them in the dryer. A good idea is to put something a little heavier and smaller.. like a ball, or a clean shoe, so that it bounces and helps the pillow get back its normal shape.

I bought a couple of tennis balls for that and they work very well.

.

I usually put them in the dryer, and they normally turn out fine. However, the last time I did it, the pillow split open on the hems. To prevent this, I put them on my sneaker rack in the dryer so it won't tumble around.

add tennis balls or soft kid sneakers to dryer, the bouncing action keeps the pillow stuffing from settling and not getting thoroughly dry

In the dryer with a tennis ball

• dawnb

Mine dry just fine on the delicate setting.

Uh, i would move to Arizona and dry them on your roof! Great excuse to move to a beautiful state!

I usually dry my pillows thoroughly, it keeps them plumper.