Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 decade ago

What are some name of prescription drugs that my friend could be using to get high?

I have a really good friend and I scared she is going down the wong path using prescription dugs she gets from friend to get high please help me I need to know what some of them are so I know what to look for and I can get her help Please keep in mind I'm 22 I just dont know about this cause I have always been drug free and my friend is 18

18 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

wow um...

Rx and OTC Medications

Opioids/Pain Relievers

OxyContin

Opioids/Pain Relievers. The abuse of opioids/pain relievers by young people is a particular concern. According to the 2000 NHSDA, 8.4 percent of 12- to 17-year-olds reported having abused pain relievers at least once in their lifetime. NHSDA data also indicate that 12- to 17-year-olds represented approximately one-half of the 1.4 million individuals who abused opioids/pain relievers for the first time in 1999. The number of new abusers aged 12 to 17 who reported nonmedical use of opioids/pain relievers increased nearly tenfold, from 78,000 in 1985 to 722,000 in 1999. Data from the Monitoring the Future (MTF) Study indicate that in 2001, 9.9 percent of twelfth graders surveyed in the United States reported having abused other narcotics--a category that includes opioids and pain relievers and excludes heroin--at least once in their lifetime.

OxyContin is a brand name for oxycodone, a Schedule II drug. Oxycodone also is sold under the trade names Percocet, Percodan, and Tylox. It is an opium-based pain reliever that is prescribed for relief of moderate to severe pain. Law enforcement reporting indicates that OxyContin, which has heroin-like effects that last up to 12 hours, is the fastest growing threat among oxycodone products.

According to the Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP), in 2001 law enforcement agencies and drug treatment providers in Boston, Detroit, Miami, and St. Louis as well as in Portland, Maine, and Billings, Montana, reported that many 13- to 17-year-olds became first-time OxyContin users, without previously having used heroin or other prescription opioids.

Georgia Teenager Indicted

In December 2001 a 17-year-old Georgia resident was indicted on manslaughter and reckless conduct charges for supplying OxyContin to a 15-year-old who died from an overdose of the drug.

Source: Associated Press, 5 December 2001.

Data provided by the Treatment Episode Data Set (TEDS) indicate that admissions to publicly funded facilities involving 12- to 17-year-olds seeking treatment for abuse of other opiates/synthetics--a category that excludes heroin and nonprescription methadone--increased from 115 in 1995 to 191 in 1999.

To Top To Contents

Depressants. According to 2000 NHSDA data, 2.5 percent of 12- to 17-year-olds reported abusing tranquilizers at least once in their lifetime. The data also indicate that 0.8 percent of young people in this age group abused sedatives at least once in their lifetime. (See Table 2.) MTF data indicate that in 2001, 9.2 percent of twelfth graders reported having abused tranquilizers at least once in their lifetime, and 8.7 percent reported having abused barbiturates at least once in their lifetime. (See Table 3.)

Table 3. Lifetime Abuse of Other Narcotics, Tranquilizers, and Barbiturates Among Twelfth Graders, 1997-2001

1997 1998 1999 2000 2001

Other Narcotics* 9.7 9.8 10.2 10.6 9.9

Tranquilizers 7.8 8.5 9.3 8.9 9.2

Barbiturates 8.1 8.7 8.9 9.2 8.7

Source: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, National Institutes of Health, MTF.

*Excludes heroin.

Substance abuse treatment data indicate that abuse of tranquilizers by adolescents is an increasing concern. Data provided by TEDS indicate that admissions to publicly funded treatment facilities involving 12- to 17-year-olds seeking treatment for tranquilizer abuse increased from 97 in 1995 to 211 in 1999. Among the same age group, admissions for sedative/hypnotic abuse increased from 95 in 1995 to 118 in 1997, then decreased slightly to 113 in 1999.

Table 4. Treatment Admissions to Publicly Funded Facilities 12- to 17-Year-Olds, 1995-1999

1995 1996 1997 1998 1999

Other Opiates/Synthetics* 115 140 140 147 191

Tranquilizers 97 93 133 140 211

Sedatives/Hypnotics 95 97 118 114 113

Other Stimulants** 182 266 174 183 135

Source: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, TEDS.

*Excludes heroin and nonprescription methadone.

**Excludes methamphetamine and other amphetamines.

To Top To Contents

Students Abuse Xanax

Middle school students in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, were treated at local hospitals in January 2002 after ingesting Xanax, a benzodiazepine. Twenty-eight students at a Philadelphia middle school ingested the drug after a 13-year-old stole a bottle of 100 Xanax tablets from a relative and distributed the tablets during school hours.

Source: Philadelphia Police Department.

Stimulants. Data from NHSDA indicate that the percentage of 12- to 17-year-olds who reported having abused stimulants at least once in their lifetime in 1999 (3.9%) was comparable to the percentage in 2000 (4.0%). (See Table 2.) In 1999 approximately 50 percent of the 646,000 new stimulant abusers were aged 12 to 17, according to NHSDA. TEDS data indicate that the number of admissions to publicly funded treatment facilities that involved 12- to 17-year-olds seeking treatment for stimulant abuse fluctuated from 182 in 1995 to 135 in 1999.

Ritalin (methylphenidate) is one of the stimulants most commonly abused by young people. It is an amphetamine-like central nervous system stimulant with properties that are similar to cocaine. Individuals abuse Ritalin to increase alertness, lose weight, and experience the euphoric effects resulting from high doses. Under the Controlled Substances Act, Ritalin is a Schedule II drug. It is produced commercially in 5-, 10-, and 20-milligram tablets. The drug usually is ingested orally; however, when used nonmedically, it can be ground into a powder and snorted like cocaine or dissolved in water and injected like heroin.

The potential for diversion of the drug is high because two to four million children and one million adults nationwide are prescribed Ritalin legally. Ritalin is a stimulant and typically is prescribed for children diagnosed with attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder. According to the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), illicit prices for a 20-milligram tablet can range from $2 to $20 depending upon location.

• 1 decade ago

You don't need to know what they are. That doesn't matter. What you can do is to try an intervention with her friends and family confronting her behavior. The reality about addiction is that there's no too much you can do for her. The only way recovery of addiction works is that the addict has to want to get help; she has to want to change her life. You can certainly talk to her and tell her how you feel, but don't be disappointed if she yeses you to death and promises to stop, but doesn't. The sad truth is that she will probably have to hit rock bottom before she decides to go get help. If you haven't told her other friends or family the only thing you are doing is enabling her addiction. Secrecy is big with addicts. If you let people know what's going on & she says she isn't your friend anymore...the news flash is the pills are her friend.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Knowing what kind of drugs seems unimportant, but rather explaining to her that you know she has a problem. Regardless of the kinds of drugs she's using, or even how she's getting them, none of this matters. All that matters is that you know she has a problem. You can either speak up, which she may or may not listen to you (chances are she won't, but it's worth a try), or you can realize that there's not much you can do or say. If she likes the feel the drugs give her, nothing you can say is going to top that. I suggest you try to talk to her, and if she won't listen, cut your losses and find a drug-free friend.

Source(s): I've been there...
  • 1 decade ago

This is your friends issue, so why are YOU responsible for helping. And, how is knowing about which drugs get you high goin to help her? Anyways, your friend is the one who needs to take control of the situation and move herself down a different path. NOT YOU! Don't enable her or allow yourself to become burdened with her issues.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

There are many drugs that can cause a high, I suggest if you know she is doing it then you take a look at what she has and go from there. There would be too many drugs to list.

Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Vicodin, OxyContin, Adderall

• M J
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

There are a lot of drugs that can have various effects on her....You need to talk to her and try to find out...Before she od's

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Doesn't matter what they are. And if this friend doesn't want help, there is nothing you can do. They are considered an adult. You can't force them into treatment.

Source(s): FDA researcher
  • 1 decade ago

sorry to hear!i think people go crazy over that drug prozak or something like that good luck

• 1 decade ago

Darvaset

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

you can use many prescription drugs to get high, too many to list or count.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.