Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Question about Psalm 82, proof of other gods?

In Psalm 82 it says "God rises in the divine council, gives judgement in the midst of the gods."

Then in verse 5 it continues " the gods neither know no understand, wandering about in darkness, and all the world's foundations shake. I declare ' Gods though you be, offspring of the Most high all of you, yet like any mortal you shall die; like any prince you shall fall.'"

What does this mean? Could it mean that other gods are a real possibility, even the Bible acknowledges them as the "offspring of the Most High".

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Assuming that the Bible can be taken literally ( which it can't) in Genesis it also talks about the "sons of heaven" in 6 : 1 - 4. It's all very interesting, but I doubt you'll find a real answer here. We have no idea what they were really referring to, people just think they do. Anyone we could have asked has been dead for way to long.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Nels N
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

I've included the entire Psalm below (NIV version) so that the context is clear. Any thing that people regard as the focus of their life, the thing to which they give their devotion, is their 'god'. If the focus of your life is money, money is your god. If the focus of your life is popularity, popularity is your god. In the context of Psalm 82, it is clear that the 'gods' refer to people pursuing selfish interests, and that these pursuits are subject to God's judgment.

1 God presides in the great assembly;

he gives judgment among the "gods":

2 "How long will you defend the unjust

and show partiality to the wicked?

Selah

3 Defend the cause of the weak and fatherless;

maintain the rights of the poor and oppressed.

4 Rescue the weak and needy;

deliver them from the hand of the wicked.

5 "They know nothing, they understand nothing.

They walk about in darkness;

all the foundations of the earth are shaken.

6 "I said, 'You are "gods";

you are all sons of the Most High.'

7 But you will die like mere men;

you will fall like every other ruler."

8 Rise up, O God, judge the earth,

for all the nations are your inheritance.

• 3 years ago

John a million:a million, 14 "in the commencing up replaced into the awareness. The be conscious replaced into with God, and the awareness replaced into God. And the awareness became flesh and dwelt between us." it is unquestionably one of 1000's of Scriptural evidences for the Trinity, that God is the two one God, and revealed in 3 without end existent persons. it incredibly is a perplexing theory to entice close for some, however the Bible shows this as authentic, so it would be authentic. We believe in one God, who shows Himself in 3 without end existent persons, the father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit (the doctrine of the Trinity). The mathematical representation of our theory is 1x1x1=a million. Scripture says that creation shows lots of the attributes of God. it is authentic of the tri-une nature. area is produced from 3 dimensions, length, width, and intensity. All 3 are needed to create area, yet in the time of an area you may degree any between the three dimensions an endless style of cases interior of that given area, because of the fact a line has mathematically no width. for this reason we see the infinite nature of each guy or woman of the Godhead, and the solidarity of the Godhead.

• 1 decade ago

(Psalm 82 KJV)

"1 GOD standeth in the congregation of the mighty; he judgeth among the gods.

2 How long will ye judge unjustly, and accept the persons of the wicked? Selah.

3 Defend the poor and fatherless: do justice to the afflicted and needy.

4 Deliver the poor and needy: rid them out of the hand of the wicked.

5 They know not, neither will they understand; they walk on in darkness: all the foundations of the earth are out of course.

6 I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.

7 But ye shall die like men, and fall like one of the princes.

8 Arise, O God, judge the earth: for thou shalt inherit all nations."

Great Question and Thank You for asking it.

In the origional Hebrew, the word god (with the little "g" {very important} sometimes stood for the word "judge" or "ruler" such as judges or to judge the people). Remember in early Jewish history, the people were ruled by judges before they were ruled by kings. The judges of that day were not being just to the people and God through the psalmist was calling them out. Likely, they may have been favoring the rich (ie taking bribes) and not giveing the poor the justice that they may have deserved. They should have been living up to their holy apointed position.

The Big "G" GOD or God refers to the LORD himself; the maker of the heaven and the earth and ruler of us all.

Some cults have changed their translations of the Bible over the years and have miss-interpreted this verse.

The footnote in my bible reads as follows: ""This psalm (Psalm 82) calls the rulers and judges of Israel "gods" and "children of the most High." "They were called gods because they represented God in executing judgement. John 10:34-36 records Jesus using this passage to defend his claims to be God. His arguement was as follows: if God would call mere men "gods" (little 'g'), why was it blasphemus for him, the true Son of God, to declare himself equal with God?""

Try re-reading the psalm above and repalce the lowercase word(s) "god(s)" with the proper context word, "judge" or "ruler."

Also, this scripture comes to mind, "Hear, O Israel, the LORD your God is one LORD."

I encourage you to read the bible faithfully, and make sure it's a translation that a reputable Christian Bookstore would sell and not a cult one like: The New World Translation (Which had some text changes over twenty years ago to try to detach Jesus' oneness with God).

I hope this answer helped you, and know this for a fact; There is one God and He is Lord and He came to earth in Human form to die for our sins, to rise from the dead, and give Eternal Life to all who call on Him as Lord and Savior (Romans 10:9-13). God Bless. :)

For more info, you might like to visit: www.BlueLetterBible.org

Source(s): KJV, NIV Holy Bible
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

There's several other places in the bible mentioning other gods also, the most famous of which is "Thou shalt not have any other gods before me." (probably quoted wrong.) So... basically from my understanding is repeatedly the bible tells us that a)there are other gods and b) the god of the bible is jealous and grumpy and is trying to make sure he has as many on his team as possible.

• RIFF
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

I haven't read that verse, but demons are always referred to as "false-gods". Where it gets kind of rough for Christians is when it comes to realizing that in some pagan religious cults, "miracles" did occur on rare occasions that were completely demonic in origin, and they have been known through history as "false gods" ever since.

• Gods/elohiym also refer to judges and rulers:

(plural)

rulers, judges

divine ones

angels

gods

(plural intensive - singular meaning)

god, goddess

godlike one

works or special possessions of God

the (true) God

God

Thumbs down for a scholarly answer?

• THA
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

--THERE HAVE BEEN many false gods such as pharoah of Egypt, self-made, and this is how God considers them:

(Psalm 96:3-7) “. . .Declare among the nations his glory, Among all the peoples his wonderful works.  4 For Jehovah is great and very much to be praised. He is fear-inspiring above all [other] gods.  5 For all the gods of the peoples are valueless gods; But as for Jehovah, he has made the very heavens.  6 Dignity and splendor are before him; Strength and beauty are in his sanctuary.  7 Ascribe to Jehovah, O YOU families of the peoples, Ascribe to Jehovah glory and strength. . .”

• 1 decade ago

He's speaking there of us as human beings, that He made us gods to have dominion over the earth (not other people)~

He alone is God Almighty

if you have a study Bible it would be good to study references

• 1 decade ago

Certain mighty ones of earth are referred to as “gods,” whereas Jesus referred to himself as God’s Son.

John 10:34-36 - "Jesus answered them: “Is it not written in your Law, ‘I said: “YOU are gods”’?  If he called ‘gods’ those against whom the word of God came, and yet the Scripture cannot be nullified, do YOU say to me whom the Father sanctified and dispatched into the world, ‘You blaspheme,’ because I said, I am God’s Son?"

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.