Can a car dealer keep my down payment if they fail to get me financed?

I went to a car dealer to buy a car the told me they had gotten me approved, the gave me the car with a 30 day temporary tag . they gave me the name of the bank they said financed me ,the amount of my payment, and a warrenty and gap insurance. Now 30 days later I havent gotten anything in the mail from the bank,so... show more I went to a car dealer to buy a car the told me they had gotten me approved, the gave me the car with a 30 day temporary tag . they gave me the name of the bank they said financed me ,the amount of my payment, and a warrenty and gap insurance. Now 30 days later I havent gotten anything in the mail from the bank,so I called them and they told me that they had no record of my account.I contacted the dealer and they told me to come in and talk to them.they told me that they ad not gotten me financed then they ask me for more money down,and a cosigner. I told them i dnt have either. then i gave them their car back and ask for my down payment back they told me that they were gonna keep it to cover the time i had the car. B.S.