Alan A asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

does the slovenian language kinda sound like the russian language?

even though they dont use the same alphabet, they are slavic languages.

Best Answer

A bit but don't let yourself be misled by pan-Slavic propaganda. They are different languages, although they both belong to the Slavic group of languages. Some words might be same, some words are similar but mostly the vocabulary is quite different. Grammar is a bit similar, yet again there are huge differences, for example the use of dual in Slovene, which doesn't exist in Russian. If you speak Russian you will not be able to understand Slovene without learning it and vice versa. Another huge difference is in accent and pronounciation which makes words that have same or similar spelling harder to understand. Slovene language has a lot of unique words which are not known to other Slavic languages.

I'll give you a comparison of some phrases and words in Russian and Slovene and then see for yourself:

English - Slovene - Russian:

hello - živjo - zdravstvuy

goodbye - nasvidenje - dosvidanya

please - prosim - pozhaluysta

thank you - hvala - spasibo

yes - ja - da

no - ne - net

what - kaj - chto

where - kje - gde

when - kdaj - kogda

here - tu - zdes'

there - tam - tam

table - miza - stol

chair - stol - stul

car - avto - samohod

aeroplane - letalo - samolet

city - mesto - gorod

man - človek - chelovek

person - oseba - lice

...

Source(s): I speak both
    • Mitja4 years agoReport

And Czechs are not "Germanic". This is a typical occult nonsense. Germany did not exist until 16th century. There lived many Gothic AND Slavic people. Teutones gothicized most of all slavs or wiped them out. The only surviving group are Sorbs. Eastern Germans are actually Slavs, who were Gothicized

While they are both Slavic languages, this does not necessarily mean they will be similar. Bulgarian--also a slavic tongue--has almost as many parallels to the French language as it does to Russian.

Part of this is because while they may all be a part of the Slavic group, there are subdivisions within that group. Russian (along with Ukrainian and Byelorussian) is an Eastern Slavic language; Bulgarian shares the Southern Slavic subdivision with the Macedonian, Serbo-Croatian, and Slovenian languages, with about the same degree of similarity to Russian as there is between English and German (both Germanic languages).

Source(s): I've taken four years of Russian language courses and one of French, I have a friend who's Bulgarian, and I've always had a strong interest in languages and linguistics.
  • Erika

Slovenian Accent

Because Russian, Ukrainian, Belorussian, Polish, Czech, Slovak, Slovenian, Croat, Serbian, Bulgarian, Macedonian and few other less known languages belong to the same family of Slavic languages. But you must know that all of this languages are different for their users so if you mistake them it will be fou paux.

Yeah...it kinda sound like Russian...

for the foreigner, but not for Russian themselves...

Even though all Slavic languages originated from one language, they spread and changed just as much as other languages did.

Probably. There is, on the south side of Chicago, a storefront labeled "Slovenska narodna proporna jednota." I had no idea what this was until it occurred to me to transliterate into Cyrillic and look up the words in a Russian dictionary. It means "Slovenian peoples' benevolent association."

To an untrained ear it would be quite impossible to distinguish them. Of course once you speak a certain slavic language it's pretty easy to tell which one's which.

Once you learn one or two Slavic languages, learning the rest of them and peanuts. When I learned Russian and Polish I easily learned Czech, Serb, Bulgarian, even without learning I could understand them or learn them in two weeks.

• rosati

i'm Russian, so for me its sounds general)) yet I even have many acquaintances from Philippines and that they stated its the main difficult language to earnings and it looks like if u cave in the paper )))) yet they like it too!

Absolutely! My grandmother is from Yugoslavia. A lot of the words are the same, or sound the same as Russian.