Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsZoology · 1 decade ago

How much does it cost to buy a live cow? Just want to know what farmers pay for one cow.?

I don't care for answers that are "who cares?" because if that were the case, why would I ask? So kindly if you know, please post answer.

Favorite Answer

Well now, like cars, there are cows and then there are COWS. Registered cattle may be costly and sell for many times the price of an average beef cow. Producing dairy cattle will fetch a higher price also. Age and health are factors, too. Young calves might be purchased for as little as $150.00 but then you have to invest in feeding it milk and making time to be it's mom for a few months. Old and sick cows may sell cheep. I sold a very old cow to a taco meat producer for $12.00 once. Average cows which are range beef cows are sold by the pound and currently are running about .85 cents a pound. The report that I'm looking at today indicated a range from .56 cents a pound to $100.06 a pound. And, this takes into account all sorts of factors such as health, age, size, sex, etc., etc. Most adult cows weigh between 800 and 1000 pounds. The average price for a cow is probably about $800.00 these days. Very few ranchers buy adult cows. They will breed their own, or purchase calves at various sizes and raise them. This makes the cost of getting a cow much less, but may raise the risk of it surviving to breeding age, or require much more invested labor on the part of the rancher.

http://www.cattle.com/markets/barn_report.aspx?cod...

Source(s): Range cattle rancher 35 years
    • Raliegh5 years agoReport

We own a few acres of land in Texas for over 30 years. USDA stated that the land meets their regulations for breeding cows, only. Have any ideas on how to help us get started looking for someone who could use our land for breeding 3-4 cows?

Younger cow average $900 bred.

Wichita Falls, Texas livestock market report:

First numbers are wieght and the second is price per pound. Some like bred cows are sold price each not pounds. Pairs ( mother and calf) alos sold per pair.

Price will vary in different markets. Wher ther eis drought now cows will sell at a sdiscount to whre there is plentiful grass. Beef for feed lots should not vary too much. Yet it is an auction and it depends on buyers in afree market.

http://www.wichitalivestock.com/

I have some Texas land that USDA said qualifies for breeding cows. Need some pricing information right now to see what I am getting into.

I guess it depends on where you live, what type of "cow" you want, what the stockmarket is doing, what you want it for and the age you want.

I used to buy calves for 4-H and FFA. I paid around $150 to $450 per for a Dairy Calf. Angus (Beef cows) are more. They could go more or less then that. I am not sure what the going rate for an angus is right now because my aunt bought her females and bread them and so far she has only had 1 male out of 4 calves. I could ask her but I think they are just going to make him dinner (sorry for the mental picture and I was trying to be nice about that part).

Now for adult cows.. That is a LOT more. I know I would make over a 1000 to 2000. They do cents on the lbs. The bigger the better for the most part.

Source(s): Lived & Breathed the farm for most of my life!

most cattle are sold at auction and there are many variables that determine the price, from how old the cow is to how many and how desperate the bidders are, is it a beef cow or a milk cow, is it sold fro breeding purposes, etc...so really your question really just doesn't go into enough detail to give you a proper answer.

You can purchase them anywhere from $800.00 up to a couple of thousand depending on the type of cow, either a milk cow or beef cow.

Source(s): My family has a farm.
    • Oscar5 years agoReport

Wanting to buy a dairy cow, How many years does it take before they start producing milk?

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

cost buy live farmers pay

Source(s): cost buy live farmers pay: https://shorturl.im/HEiHn

price depends on age and breed 200 dollars for a calf

Seen them in the papers around here (MO) for $750-850 as bred cows.

I know my ex bf used to do fairs and some of the cows would go from $10,000 up to $100,000. I guess it just depends on the grade of a cow. I know cows that win in a lot of fair competitions in certain ones there price will go up!