TEM asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 decade ago

have you drunk alcohol while taking zoloft?

Looking for the personal experiences of anyone who has been taking zoloft for some time and who also occasionally drinks. I've been taking zoloft for a month now and am wondering about side effects in the situation described above.

Favorite Answer

yes. i drink regularly and have been using zoloft for years.

i find the difference for me is this. on zoloft and drinking, i get very drunk quite quickly and extremely tired. when i wasn't on zoloft, i could stay out easily til 3 or 4 in the morning. now, if i'm drinking, i feel lucky to make it past 1am. (although it could be that i'm getting old!)

something else happens too. i have very vivid dreams on zoloft. if i fall asleep drunk, i will continue my 'night out' in my dreams. the next morning, i'm not sure what was real and what i dreamt. i find that a bit scary.

otherwise, i haven't had any other issues. i would suggest to you, probably don't go out and get drunk, but just have a few drinks to test the water and see how your body tolerates it.

an occasional drink is ok but be aware that alcohol speeds up the metabolism of the zoloft. in other words, you would not receive the full dose of the medication because it's eliminated from your body much faster.

If you are talking about having a beer with friends now and then when out bowling etc you should be OK . The warnings of not mixing it with alcohol are aimed more at not going out and getting drunk frequently . As with anything moderation is the key .

i wouldnt mix the too. Zoloft is a mood altering drug as well as alcohol. You should never mix drugs and alcohol without talking to your doctor first

It's alright to have a few drinks,and even to get drunk.But I wouldn't make a habit out of it.You are the only one that knows what's best for you.

Source(s): Former Zoloft user
  • Anne B

It's ok to have an occasional drink. I take Paxil, and have never had a problem.

It's not a good idea. Alcohol usually doesn't mix well with psych drugs.

Both are metabolized in the liver. so it is not advised.

As with any drug, the two Should not be taken together.

I hope this helps you,