What kind of cheese is Velveeta brand cheese?

I know its a weird question but I want to know...like is it American, Swiss, Cheddar...??

19 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

**UUH they CANT advertise it as cheese because it's not really cheese. That's why the FDA makes them package it as "Cheese Product". Look at the Velveeta website. It's not anywhere referred to as cheese on the package. It is advertised as just Velveeta.** It's not even really cheese. It is pasteurized, processed cheese product. Velveeta is what is referred to by many as "American Cheese". From Wikipedia:

Velveeta is the brand name of a processed cheese product first made in 1918 by Swiss immigrant Emil Frey of the Monroe Cheese Company in Monroe, New York. In 1923, The Velveeta Cheese Company was incorporated as a separate company, and was sold to Kraft Foods in 1927. Velveeta features a soft, rubbery texture and a distinctive taste that advertisers compare to cheddar cheese, and it is noted for its easy melting. Others compare the taste to American cheese or Cheez Whiz. Velveeta is made in part of whey, a by-product of cheese-making. Velveeta is classified by the United States Food and Drug Administration as pasteurized process cheese product (see processed cheese). For a time during the 1990s, Velveeta using the advertising jingle, "Colby, Swiss and Cheddar, blended all together" in its U. S. television commercials to explain its unique taste. Velveeta does not need to be refrigerated until it is opened.

In 2002, the FDA warned Kraft that Velveeta was being sold with packaging that described it as a "pasteurized processed cheese food," which the FDA claimed was false ("cheese food" must contain at least 51% cheese). Velveeta is now sold as a "cheese product," using a term for items that contain less than 51% cheese.[1]

Velveeta is currently sold in the United States, Canada, Hong Kong, Philippines, and Germany ("Velveta"). It is sold in Australia as "Kraft Cheddar Cheese". At one time it was also sold in the United Kingdom.

• Login to reply the answers
  • kimsey
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Is Velveeta Cheese Real Cheese

• 5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

What kind of cheese is Velveeta brand cheese?

I know its a weird question but I want to know...like is it American, Swiss, Cheddar...??

Source(s): kind cheese velveeta brand cheese: https://shortly.im/Slmie
  • it is not cheese at all. my dad actually makes cheese and he definately know this stuff.

cheese makers who made a bad batch of cheese (one that smells rotten) send it to the makers of velveeta cheese who blend all of the different bad batches of cheese. they proccess them add ingridients to make it taste decent. they also add aneto a yellow dye to the cheese to cover up the look of the cheese

they packege it with the lable proccessed cheese which is mandatory by the fda

and now they r adding powdered milk so they can say there cheese has more calcium and milk.

another company that does this is kraft

so if ur looking for the real cheese look for brands that say FARMSTEAD CHEESE got that?

Source(s): workin in a cheese plant listenin 2 my dad
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Bert C
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

It a pasteurized, processed cheese food product made with American cheese.

Bert

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It's a processed version of cheddar. It's great choice for melting, for nachos! There is, or used to be, a spiced up version of it.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

American Mild Cheddar in a 2lb loaf..

How can these answers say it is not cheese

you can not advertise as a cheese,,, the FDA won't allow it

Just because a few OUT THERE don't read the package

Quick bash it.....

• 4 years ago

you haven't had real cheddar chesse until you have cabot from Vt. I go to school in Vermont and i'm obsessed with cabot's extra sharp cheddar =)

• 1 decade ago

It is a factory engineered "Cheese Product". Says it on the box.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It is a processed cheese so it's not really cheese at all. I guess it's closest to American cheese but again it's not really cheese.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.