Ever spent 4-5 hours in an Emergency Room waiting room?

I took my elderly mom to the ER last night because two of her doctors were afraid that she had a blood clot and they needed the ER to use their equipment to check it out. She doesn't have a clot, thank God, but oh-my-gosh, what a nightmare being in the ER waiting room for 4 1/2 hours watching all the really... show more I took my elderly mom to the ER last night because two of her doctors were afraid that she had a blood clot and they needed the ER to use their equipment to check it out. She doesn't have a clot, thank God, but oh-my-gosh, what a nightmare being in the ER waiting room for 4 1/2 hours watching all the really sick or injured people, and then seeing other people come in with a mild rash or splinter and yelling at the receptionist because they had to wait so long. The trouble-makers brought their friends, neighbors, neighbors kids, buckets of chicken and bags of other fast food, laughed and partied like it was all a big joke. Why is healthcare so expensive in this country? The people who use medical cards go to the ER for non-emergencies, and then the dr gets paid about 1/10th of what the bill actually is, leaving the rest of us to make up the difference.
Update: Mypassion, where do you think the money comes from for the medical cards??? Taxpayers...hellooooo.
Update 2: Mez, why are you living in USA, may I ask? How many people are on welfare benefits in Canada?