Nick asked in Games & RecreationGambling · 1 decade ago

Any tips on playing omaha online?

Favorite Answer

I will say this once and only once:

If you manage to get good, even VERY good, at Omaha, Hold 'Em, or any other poker game in a live setting, be it a home game, an illegal game, or a game in a casino, that does NOT prepare you to play online.

In live games, cards fall randomly. In other words, neither the deck or the house can control the way the cards fall. But ... online is a different story! Virtually every aspect of the game, except the decisions of the people playing, are controlled by computer programmers. If they want to bust a given player on a given hand, it's pretty easy to do. You might say, "No way! You just said that they cannot control the decisions of the people playing." That's true in theory, but because they can control the cards, in effect, they can control your behavior too. An example from Hold 'Em, just because it's easier to illustrate than Omaha, which has FAR more possible outcomes:

I arrange the cards in the deck so that when I deal they go to the 10 players like this:

1st position: AK suited

2nd position: 3 7 off suit

3rd position: 6 10 off suite

4th position: A Q suited

5th position: JJ

6th position: 7 K off suit

7th position: QQ

8th position: 5 9 off suit

9th position: 2 7 off suit

10th position: AA

Look at those hands! Are you telling me that you cannot say with a pretty high degree of certainty who is going to play that hand and who is going to lay down? I mean, there are STILL variables involved. Does the first player slow play his AK suited? Or does he raise, maybe go all in? An ALL IN might get A Q suited to fold, might not. At any position, it's possible that JJ or QQ can get away from their hands, but with novice players, how likely is it really?

I say to people all the time ... online play is designed to build big pots, speed the action, and bust people. Sure, SOMEONE has to win. Might as well be you, right? The weird thing is that online play rewards a lot of reckless play that is punished in live games. For instance, in the example above, if 3 7 off suit in 2nd position, called the guy in first position's all in, I don't care WHO did what after that, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see 3 7 win the hand. Sites like PokerStars.com seem to encourage such recklessness. I think it's another way to increase action. And keep in mind, whereas in a live game, the cards don't move once the dealing starts, but in a programmed game they can change the flop, the turn, or the river, depending on who does what.

So, imagine it ...

Scenario 1: All the players with bad hands--i.e., positions 2, 3, 6, 8, 9--fold. You think the programmers care? They can ON THE FLY change the cards to work with just those monster hands.

Scenario 2: As I said above, the player in 2nd position goes all in. They can decide whether the flop comes 337 or 773 or AA9 or whatever else they want.

Scenario 3: All the other bad hands fold to the donkey in 6th position. NOW, they have the option of flopping 66K or KK6 or anything else they like.

I have played 1,000's upon 1,000's of hours of online poker AND I'm a programmer by profession. I was in a tournament last night on Arctic Poker. I knew precisely when I would be eliminated. Could I have folded? SURE! But when the algorithm targets you, there is no place to hide. IF you fold, fold, fold, they blind you out. And if you play, they get you out even more quickly.

Some people make a handsome living playing online. But it is MUCH tougher to do so than in a casino. And that's tough enough!

Beware.

Playing online is not much different than in a casino. This is true of most forms of poker as there's a whole lot more information to be garnered from opponents' hand selections and betting patterns than "by the way they hold their eyes."

As far as how to play, like with anything involving money (gambling, business, investing, etc.), do your homework first. Read up on and study the game before playing. Next, play for free on your favorite Internet poker site. When you feel comfortable, take a seat in a cash game.

As with all forms of poker, it's best to cut your teeth playing limit games before going to no limit (tournaments). It's amazing how few people these days have ever played (or, in some cases, even heard of), let alone made a profit in limit games. Probably because everyone wants to be Chris Moneymaker or some other glamorous (Term used lightly!) all-in TV numbskull.

DO NOT MODEL YOUR GAME AFTER THOSE YOU SEE ON TV!!!

Learn the fundamentals (including how to calculate pot and implied odds, etc.), start small, keep a record of your play (i.e. - how much you win or lose), and only after you can demonstrate a consistent profit over an extended period should you consider upping your limits.

Lastly, as far as basic, yet useful Omaha advice, play fewer hands than you would in Hold 'Em and only proceed post-flop if you have a monster high, a monster low, or a very good shot at scooping both. And remember, if you think you're beat, you are!

Good luck!

Omaha is a game of draws. It's a very challenging game with many possibilities where you will find action. You can play it LIMIT, POT LIMIT even NO LIMIT but I honestly recommend not to play the last one. The POT LIMIT in OMAHA is the equal of the NO LIMIT in TEXAS HOLDEM.

The game of OMAHA is played HI, HI/LOW 8 or BETTER

Be very selective with your starting hands, don't play into many pots, having four cards doesn't mean playing many hands.

You should respect big bets and raises, players don't bluff often in OMAHA.

Things can change dramatically from the flop to the river, so if you flop a hand you must bet aggressively.

You will find so many combinations, the money hands are drawing hands.

Beware of the "second nuts" when you hit your hands, many players go broke with it in OMAHA, second nuts is second place, you must have discipline to make "big" lay down.

In OMAHA 8 or better, your goal is to win both the high and the low. Your selection of starting hands should include cards for the high and cards for the low, example : AA23, A2KK, A3QK, A345, you want to have the right combination to hit the hi/low.

A few links to help you: http://www.pokersyte.com/omaha_hilo.htm

http://www.pokersyte.com/omaha_holdem_poker.htm

http://www.omahapoker.com/omaha-poker-101/

http://poker.oddschecker.com/poker-game-review/gam...

If you are looking for site, try Betfair. You can play exchange Omaha which is a little different than the normal. Also if you register with this code ANGMRGLHE You will receive 50$ bonus after you stake a total of 100$ and more bonuses later.

http://www.betfair.com/

Make sure you are double suited and have a pair in the hole before raising into a pot. Limp when you can with lesser hands like double suited connectors. Most hands are won with a flush or full house so if the board pairs - pretty much assume someone hit a boat and if its a suited board someone has a flush. Pot limit Omaha is probably your best bet.

if your looking for a place to play then go to

fulltilt.net

pokerstars.net

absoulutepoker.net

if your asking how to play just play and the mid pairs that you would normally play in texas hold-em you should probably fold them due to their being more cards in play and that opens up chances at better hands