Do Wiccans realize their religion is essentially a hoax?

This two-faced "religion" has been the apparent source of wirchcraft, so they can feel big and powerful around the gullible. But when pressed, they revert to the image of friendly, vacuous, innocuous, pagan/agrarian hippie-like people. But do they realize now, that there is no record of this... show more This two-faced "religion" has been the apparent source of wirchcraft, so they can feel big and powerful around the gullible. But when pressed, they revert to the image of friendly, vacuous, innocuous, pagan/agrarian hippie-like people. But do they realize now, that there is no record of this "religion" before 1920? Do they know it was initially popularized by one guy in 1954. It was fake. It was not based on any ancient philosophy or religion.

But then, don't feel bad. In that respect it is no different from Scientology. In fact, that might even be true of Christianity. So what do you do and how do you feel when you discover this fact?

Check Wiki for Wicca.
Update: Geez, Amanda, well I guess the answer is this: The elements EXISTED, whether they were known or not. Wicca DIDN'T. (And that got 5 thumbs up?Wow!)
Update 2: It was a hoax because its founder represented it as something that it was not. It did not have historical roots, It was completely contrived.
Update 3: Innocence lost, *somebody* saw a lot of witches, especially from the 12th through 16th centuries. I was going to mention Mormon, because that really is another example. It has been strongly suggested that it was based largely on a deliberate hoax. But I can see the answer to part of my question. When one;s... show more Innocence lost, *somebody* saw a lot of witches, especially from the 12th through 16th centuries. I was going to mention Mormon, because that really is another example. It has been strongly suggested that it was based largely on a deliberate hoax. But I can see the answer to part of my question. When one;s beliefs are shown to be based on hogwash, they get very hostile about it. Thank you for your thoughtful answer.
Update 4: Mint, I don't expect them to care that I think it is a hoax. I wondered if they cared that it IS a hoax. A very recent one. They were duped.
Update 5: Dink2925, I had to laugh because despite the obvious sarcasm of your answer they STILL gave you two thumbs down! LOL. Yeah, it was them. And sorry, no, I don't think I can give you the best answer. In all good conscience. I'll let the community decide. I found out what I needed to know.
Update 6: Excuse me, SEVEN thumbs up for the ridiculous analogy to the periodic table. This speaks volumes.
Update 7: I'm not angry or afraid. More like amazed and disappointed.
Update 8: But when it comes to anger, all one need to do is look at the answers. No, I didn't use a thesaurus, but if you don't like big words, I'll dumb it down next time.