Do Wiccans realize that their religion is essentially a hoax?

This two-faced "religion" has been the apparent source of wirchcraft, so they can feel big and powerful around the gullible. But when pressed, they revert to the image of friendly, vacuous, innocuous, pagan/agrarian hippie-like people. But do they realize now, that there is no record of this... show more This two-faced "religion" has been the apparent source of wirchcraft, so they can feel big and powerful around the gullible. But when pressed, they revert to the image of friendly, vacuous, innocuous, pagan/agrarian hippie-like people. But do they realize now, that there is no record of this "religion" before 1920? Do they know it was initially popularized by one guy in 1954. It was fake. It was not based on any ancient philosophy or religion.

But then, don't feel bad. In that respect it is no different from Scientology. In fact, that might even be true of Christianity. So what do you do and how do you feel when you discover this fact?
Update: Oh, I meant to add: Check Wiki for Wicca.
Update 2: V dezzed, I did get my information from Wikipedia. Did *you* read the article? But anyway, in response to the embarrassing revelation, someone will concoct some phony documentation of the ancient religion, cult, philosophy, way of life, or whatever you want to call it. Just like they do for other insupportable... show more V dezzed, I did get my information from Wikipedia. Did *you* read the article? But anyway, in response to the embarrassing revelation, someone will concoct some phony documentation of the ancient religion, cult, philosophy, way of life, or whatever you want to call it. Just like they do for other insupportable belief systems.
Update 3: Ahh, "Grow up." What a great response to an embarrassing debunking! Now somebody say, "Get a life," and "Chill out."
Update 4: No, Wicca isn't an offshoot of anything. It is completely contrived. And I would like a reference to the text where Caesar allegedly told someone this. It must be reported to Wikipedia immediately. But I suspect that is just an ad hoc claim like I mentioned above. In the absence of a reference, no more... show more No, Wicca isn't an offshoot of anything. It is completely contrived. And I would like a reference to the text where Caesar allegedly told someone this. It must be reported to Wikipedia immediately. But I suspect that is just an ad hoc claim like I mentioned above. In the absence of a reference, no more valid than your typical urban legend.
Update 5: But furious blue, what they do try to do is hide behind an appearance of innocence while *knowing* that the superstitious and gullible will fear them because of their witchcraft. It is this suggested fear and implied intimidation that I object to, and the euphemistic hypocrisy they use to avoid criticism for it. ... show more But furious blue, what they do try to do is hide behind an appearance of innocence while *knowing* that the superstitious and gullible will fear them because of their witchcraft. It is this suggested fear and implied intimidation that I object to, and the euphemistic hypocrisy they use to avoid criticism for it. They're still afraid that crazy Christians might burn them at the stake so they like to play it both ways. They complain that they are not understood, but the implied threat is intended. They like that feeling of power over other people. Despite their big show of innocence, I believe they want people to fear them.
Update 6: I don't know that hoax would be the right word for some religions. I believe some mey be the result of intentional spiritual enlightenment. Spirituality in all sincerity. But I would not dispute the point that most religions began as the result of a hoax or misunderstanding.
Update 7: Much is being made here about how long a religion has been in existence. Even though a religion may have had dubious origins, time allows it to grow and become mainstream; a "major" religion. I was just amused that these people believed they were reviving an ancient philosophy called Wicca, and it was... show more Much is being made here about how long a religion has been in existence. Even though a religion may have had dubious origins, time allows it to grow and become mainstream; a "major" religion. I was just amused that these people believed they were reviving an ancient philosophy called Wicca, and it was just concocted recently. Wikipedia has strongly suggested this because there is NO evidence of Wiccan antiquity.
Update 8: Spike, by "debunk" I meant that the believed origin of the religion (or "way of life"), has been shown to be false. This was a concoction of the 20th century and people who think they are witches adopt the "religion" because they think it has ancient roots which they share with... show more Spike, by "debunk" I meant that the believed origin of the religion (or "way of life"), has been shown to be false. This was a concoction of the 20th century and people who think they are witches adopt the "religion" because they think it has ancient roots which they share with witches of old. It doesn't. There's no such thing as a witch who can perform supernatural feats, anyway. But there are people who think they can. I thought it was funny that their attempt at historical legitimization was a flop.
Update 9: Solar Indigo, very scholarly answer. Thank you. It appeared to me that the framework and structure of Wicca turned out to be of straw and gum, with no foundation at all. Unlike all the other religions except for maybe voodoo, it seems to have been invented in an attempt to give legitimacy to people who claim... show more Solar Indigo, very scholarly answer. Thank you. It appeared to me that the framework and structure of Wicca turned out to be of straw and gum, with no foundation at all. Unlike all the other religions except for maybe voodoo, it seems to have been invented in an attempt to give legitimacy to people who claim they have supernatural abilities.
Update 10: yourmomisaviolationnotice? What does *that* mean? Anyway, it's odd that you would call me ignorant when you just agreed with me.
Update 11: The reason it's starting date being in the 50s is significant, is because I believe self-proclaimed witches latched on to it thinking it had ancient origins. There seems to be no record of it. So their modern day attempt to borrow from the supernatural power, legend, and authority of witches throughout... show more The reason it's starting date being in the 50s is significant, is because I believe self-proclaimed witches latched on to it thinking it had ancient origins. There seems to be no record of it. So their modern day attempt to borrow from the supernatural power, legend, and authority of witches throughout history, just failed. The history of Wicca was a phony as they are. Here is where they claim it's only a nice, harmless way of life and try to hide behind that image, when the real objective is to make gullible people afraid of them because of their presumed supernatural abilities.