"That really gets my goat!" What does it mean?

Where did this phrase come from?

• Jeff S
    Favorite Answer

To "get one's goat" means to greatly annoy someone. It dates to circa 1900. According to H. L. Mencken, this phrase is from American horse racing. Trainers would put a goat in a racehorse's stall to calm it; if the goat was removed, the horse would likely become agitated. However, there is no firm evidence for this origin.[1]

I have no idea!

but...... when my husband and i got married last year, a friend of my mum's was invited to the wedding and she wanted to get us a present, being a friend of my mothers she didn't actually know us too well, but did know from my mum that i am into animal rights and caring for people etc, so she bought us a goat!

A goat with a differences though, it is a Oxfam goat, a family in a 3rd world country actually gets the goat, to help them with milk, etc

so i dont really know who got our goat.....but i do know it is in Somalia somewhere!

That really makes me mad,pisses me off.

Stuff like that you know

• 10-T3

MAKES ME ANGRY.