Truck Drivers or Wifes of Truck Driver I need some Info Please??

My Husband is wanting to go over the road he has signed up for a class for his CDL with Snyder Trucking they say they pay for everything but you have to work for them for a year, I am a bit worried because my father drove over the road almost all my life and he say's it different now you cant make as much as you could back then I guess rules have changed, but my husband is an electriton and makes good money but was laid off because right now there is just no work anywhere people are not buying houses like before so he thinks this is the way to go, but this place he has signed up for he can get out of before he starts this class, I just need to know if someone can tell me if it's worth doing, He say's he's doing it for his family that he dislikes having to be away from home and our newborn but feels the outcome will be great if he has a CDL in the future. Any Help would be great !

Favorite Answer

I was 21 when I went to truckdriving school and only spent 4 months with the company. Of course that meant that I had to pay for the schooling but I didn't care. I found a small trucking company near my home at the time which got me home every weekend. My pay was, like the man above said, approx 700/wk after deductions. That was with only 4 months of experience. There are some companies out there who wont hire you unless you have a load of experience, usually insurance purposes, but there are other small ones (10-20 trucks) who will also take care of a working man/woman with a family.

I would never suggest truck driving to someone with a baby. I think it may be a regret, missing out on things. I also understand everyone has to do what they need to pay bills and make ends meet.

I wish you the best of luck.

hi im in queensland australia i am a driver of bdoubles, road trains, cranes, sideloaders, semi's, and shipping container forklifts. here in oz i can go from one job to the next every day if i wanted to. but the thing is there are a lot of unscrupulous ars-whole truck owners (i call them a J.A.F.O. JUST ANOTHER FRIGGEN OWNER) out there who will push a driver beyond their limits i dont know of the company you are talking about but if they are going to lock him into a contract at a shyt wage then it may be better to get a license off your own back and then go driving elsewhere that already pay top dollar, if they pay good money for long haul work then it is worth considering but the downfall of long distance work is

a lot

it could cost you your family as you are always away for extended periods then when you do get home you are so tired and grumpy the quality of being together is straight out the window so to speak. you are basically home for a day maybe 2 days and in that time you have to spend most it getting ready to go again ie washing clothes and resting up to do it again

the quality of meals at roadhouses is forever getting crapier and the prices are just ridiculous ( in the end i was taking my own stove and food and made my own meals) better and cheaper especially when grocery stores are everywhere being on the road is not a glamourous life at all

i highly recomend that if hubby was to do some truckin that he start off with just doing local and maybe once a week do an overnighter somewhere,

if you want to discuss this further im happy to do so just zap me an email and we will chat further

try these guys i found them while looking for snyder

Truck Drivers Needed Now www.DriverCareers.com

Make up to $40K your first year as a Truck Driver. Training Available

Source(s): me 14 years on the highway got nowhere finacially im now doing local past 4 years and taking home more money and im home with my wife and son every day have you considered moving to where there is plenty of work for a sparky if you want to move to queensland australia you can get work straight away if you have a work visa and license home every day get paid about $22.50 per hour plus overtime paid at double time $44.50 after you work 10 hours on your shift up to 14 hours per day thats over $400au a day day shift rate add 20-percent for afternoon shift i work at the wharves doing shipping containers something to think about there is a major housing boom here in qld and sparkies are in demand here too getting way better money than a truckie

Maam i have three kids and own my truck making quite a bit more per week than co. drivers and the money is not worth what i have missed as far as raising and being with my kids.The money a co. driver will make is probably around 700.00 a week after deductions and taxes plus it is expensive to live on the road.Birthdays,Holidays and anything of the sorts will mean absolutely nothing to the companies you drive for.If he could get right into a local home daily job it would be OK but that is far down the road and those jobs go fast.i would think long and hard b4 making this lifechanging leap ecspecially if being gone ways on his mind.14 days on the road and 2-2 1/2 days at home stinks

Amen What is it about Truckers that drive people crazy?Do they think they take up their roads? Do they think they are dangerous? Do they think the people driving those trucks are uneducated? Get the facts.... People blame truckers for most all of the accidents involving auto & rigs but most of the time it is the auto's fault for thinking a rig will stop or turn on a dime. Educate yourselves about safe lane changing and following distances. Also if it wasn't for these truckers you wouldn't have those designer jeans or those starbucks. I know alot of truckers that could have their own business but they find what they do just a little less stressful. One guy could have told you something but then he would have had to shoot you. Truth, But yes there are good and bad just like any other industry but the trucking industry is having to step up their qualifications on drivers ( I just wish they had a qualification for autos)and this keeps you and me safe. Also not all truckers are not perverts and if the ones that are, don't last long on the road because the good guys take care of perverts ! watch out for trucks and be a safe driver for their benefit as well as yours!

Don't do it!!! I was in the exact same position about a year ago and actually went to the orientation. I backed out at the last minute because my family was way more important. Look for a job in places that you would not ordinarily look, be creative. I am now delivering newspapers, yes, newspapers. I started with one route making o.k. money and then a few weeks later they asked if I could do a second route. I said yes. Now I do three routes, and I make more than a truck driver, about $46,000 a year. Try papers, you might be surprised. Look at what papers are available in your area and contact the circulation managers of all of the papers and see what they have available. You might even be able to work for more than one paper if their press times work out that way. I am home all day every day with my family and wouldn't change a thing. Learn how to make money YOUR WAY, be creative!!

• Adam

Ma'am,

Schneider will work him fairly hard. They can run the most freight at cheaper miles and make money off him. HOWEVER, I made close to 50,000 in my second year at .38 cents a mile THOUGH i stayed out for 2-3 months at a time as a Driver/trainer. My take home averaged after taxes about a 1000.00 with about 3-4 thousand miles weekly. I became proficient in 2 logs and serious stomach problems from bad food and odd sleep. With a new born, it's a hard call. The usual song is "after one year" he can go to a new company and work local.

I used to drive OTR, I wouldn't do it again. The pay is terrible.

I am an aircraft mechanic, and one of the guys I work with (he is now an aircraft electrician) used to be a house electrician. It is very good money.

If you husband can do nice, neat, clean, organized work (in sometimes small places) then he will be able to do aircraft wiring. If you want, you can ask me to try to find out more for you, but the company I work for (Raytheon) will hire people who have never done aircraft wiring and they send them to school (for free) to learn aircraft electrical wiring, if they interview well.

Going to school, & work for a full year for them(for free)? I think is a bad idea. How about paying to an agency to send you(husband) to work? I think the last is a better deal. Make sure you summit a good resume to the agency, for better results, & deal for the best offer. Good luck!

Source(s): My personal experiences.

Let him do it, a guy has to make money and a cdl will come in handy, after a year he can work just about anywhere he wants to locally!