what education is needed to become a trauma doctor and what is there salary?

6 Answers

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Emergency physicians are the ones who deal primarily with trauma so I'll explain the path to becoming an ER doc.

    First, you'll need four years of undergraduate education at a college or university.

    Second, you'll need four years of medical school to achieve an MD.

    Upon completing medical school, you'll need to enter an ER residency, which typically lasts 3 years. A lot of people don't understand what this means, so I'll try to explain. A medical resident is a "doctor" with an M.D. However, they're not yet Board Certified in their field. Technically, you'll be working as a doctor, seeing patients, and helping with traumas. However, your hours will be long (~60 per week) and you'll only make about 50,000/year at best. This is a lot of money for most people, but not a lot for someone with 8 years of higher education and likely a lot of student loans. Additionally, you're not terribly autonomous as a resident, and constantly answer to "attending" physicians. This is all part of the training process. After three years of residency, you're a full-fledged doctor and can begin to practice.

    ER physicians certainly are not the highest paid doctors; however, they make a pretty good living. I think the average is around 200,000/year. However, this varies greatly depending on the setting you work in.

    If you really want to specialize in TRAUMA you're going to want to get a residency at a hospital that sees a lot of trauma. In many hospitals, the ER doesn't handle "emergencies" very often. A lot of people come in with minor injuries, the flu, dehydration, etc. An example of a true TRAUMA center is Boston Medical Center, which is affiliated with Boston University. Hospitals like this one actually see a lot of gun-shot wounds, car accidents, severe injuries, etc. This is something you'll research when you're getting ready to apply to residency.

    It's a long road to become a doctor, but your hard work will pay off. Good luck!

    Source(s): I'm a medical student and have hospital experience in medical education.
    • Login to reply the answers
  • rosson
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

    Trauma Doctor Salary

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago


    Attachment image
    • Login to reply the answers
  • Ranto
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

    You need four years of college, four years of medical school and at least three years as an intern and residence -- same as any other type of doctor.

    Salary differs depending on location and experience -- but Doctors make good money.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • mac
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

    4 years of college

    passing the MCATS to allow you to get into medical school

    4 years of medical school

    passing your medical board

    2 years of internship

    2 years of residency

    then you're a doctor----salaries vary depending on what state and area--the lowest ---$250,000

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Toots
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

    Until you learn to spell, and the proper usage of the words, "they're", "there" and "their" you won't have to worry about it...

    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.