Why are the newer translations of the Bible missing verses?

I have a King James and a New Living Translation. The NLT has several verses that are entirely missing, such as John 5:4, Acts 8:37, Mark 16:9-20?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

An increased number of transcripts of Biblical texts have led scholars to believe that those verses were inserted in later copies of the text and probably did not appear in the originals. We have more copies and a better understanding to textual traditions and languages that the scholars did 400 years ago.

If you want to read a good book on this subject, pick up a copy of Misquoting Jesus by Barth Ehrman.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

These are explenations given by the New American Bible;

John 5 [4] Toward the end of the second century in the West and among the fourth-century Greek Fathers, an additional verse was known: "For [from time to time] an angel of the Lord used to come down into the pool; and the water was stirred up, so the first one to get in [after the stirring of the water] was healed of whatever disease afflicted him." The angel was a popular explanation of the turbulence and the healing powers attributed to it. This verse is missing from all early Greek manuscripts and the earliest versions, including the original Vulgate. Its vocabulary is markedly non-Johannine.

Acts 8 [37] The oldest and best manuscripts of Acts omit this verse, which is a Western text reading: "And Philip said, "If you believe with all your heart, you may.' And he said in reply, "I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.' "

• nedeau
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

those are explenations given in the process the recent American Bible; John 5 [4] in direction of the remarkable of the 2d century interior the West and quite a number of different the fourth-century Greek Fathers, another verse replaced into as quickly as acknowledged: "For [now and back] an angel of the Lord used to return backtrack into the pool; and the water replaced into as quickly as stirred up, so the in many situations occurring one to get in [after the stirring of the water] replaced into as quickly as healed of something illness afflicted him." The angel replaced into as quickly as a usual explanation of the turbulence and the medical care powers attributed to it. This verse is lacking from all early Greek manuscripts and the earliest types, including the nicely-known Vulgate. Its vocabulary is markedly non-Johannine. Acts 8 [37] The oldest and intense-high quality manuscripts of Acts overlook this verse, it truly is a Western text fabric examining: "And Philip suggested, "in case you think of together with the entire middle, you additionally can.' And he suggested in answer, "i think of that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.' "

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The KJV is based on the text used by the Medieval Byzantine Church. The NLT is based on an older text discovered in several 4th century manuscripts.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    6 years ago

I agree, many verses were added while the letters and passages were being copied for distributed use and for others to have access to. For reasons like clarification or harmonization of the gospels. Many of these 'omitted' verses were not present in the original manuscripts.

• 6 years ago

I had this same question and found it clearly addressed in the FAQ here:

http://www.newlivingtranslation.com/05discoverthenlt/faqs.asp?faq=4#go4

I have almost exclusively used a Schofield KJV since I became a Christ follower, but I am going to purchase a NLT as the flow of language is beautifully smooth and easier to grasp.

Source(s): http://www.newlivingtranslation.com/05discoverthenlt/faqs.asp?faq=4#go4
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

They are not "missing". They were removed because they were not present in earlier texts but were added by copyists and editors who wished to "clarify" the text or to add their own spin to things. Try some independent reading.

• 1 decade ago

Times change.

• 1 decade ago

Hmm...never noticed that..

interesting...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

stick with your good ol' King James version- the rest have been tampered with too much. i think the new versions have lost a lot of the meaning and depth that today's language doesn't seem to convey.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.