Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareOther - Hardware · 1 decade ago

adding a new hard drive help my computer?

I have an older computer that I want to use for a few more monthes. When I am surfing the net the cpu usage goes up to 100% and is slow. I have plenty of available memory on my computer. Would adding a new hard drive and putting the windows on it help with the speed? If so what size hard drive would you recommend and is internal or external better than the other one?

Favorite Answer

Adding a new drive would have little effect on CPU usage unless the existing drive is almost full and you would be getting warnings if it where. To get some performance back, first, do a little house keeping on the drive. Run disk cleanup to get rid of the Internet temp files and other junk. In Windows explorer, right click on the C: drive and select properties. You will see disk cleanup there. Then, on the tools tab, select defragment disk and run it. If you have IE 6, go to control panel, add/remove programs. There should be an item named Internet Explorer 6, SP1. Click on the repair/remove button and select repair.

There are several other things that could help get your speed back but I need to know more about what you have. If you want, e me with some more details and I'll try to help.

HDD speed and CPU speed does not have alot of relations I would recommend getting a new CPU instead of a new HDD. Are you using IDE or SATA?

For CPU recommendations I would recommend a C2D or P4

the cpu may be to blame that also affect computer speed go to pcpitstop.com and run scan that will tell you where the problem lies

You should just get a new computer. You can get a decent computer with at least double the power of what you have now for around $300.00.