Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Muslims, is Buddha a prophet?

I read that some muslim scholars believe that Buddha could have been an authentic prophet. The Qur'an says that no prophet was sent anywhere on earth between the times of Jesus or Muhammad (pbut). Buddha was born in 624 BC, which is before Jesus.

http://www.berzinarchives.com/web/en/archives/stud...

http://www.allaahuakbar.net/buddhism/gautama.htm

http://myiwc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7124

Update:

Islam also supports the idea that religions teach basically the same moral principles, and that the founders of various religions could have been prophets of God.

Update 2:

i want lots of different answers, so please star it.

Update 3:

sunshine : i don't agree with that either, but i was reading that Buddha never actually asked people to worship him.

Update 4:

is anyone reading the urls? two of them are from islamic websites!

oh and i'm just saying it's possible, not that he absolutely was.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

My opinion is that many of the worlds religions at one time expounded the principles of Islam. Over the course of time, however, those who are in charge of translating, teaching, and keeping the knowledge of these beliefs pure have foundered. Personal weakness, the idea of personal gain, forgetfulness, and personal opinion have transpired to corrupt these teachings. In their true, original form, these religions may have very well been inspired by Allah (swt), but only the Glorious Quran has been kept utterly intact and unchanged since its inception, therefore, only it is the true message of its, and our, Creator

• Furqan5 years agoReport

QURAN TELL US ABOUT ONE LAC TWENTY FOUR THOUSANDS PROPHETS ,ONE OF THEM IN WHICH WAS BUDDAH TOO

• 1 decade ago

Dear Sunshine - the Buddha is NOT worshiped as a G-d. The Buddha was a teacher who admonished his students not to worship him as a G-d or to consider him as a prophet, and in fact to question his teaching and make decisions based on careful contemplation and skillful insight.

Whether other faiths consider the Buddha a prophet should be of no relevance, but rather the teachings of kindness and compassion, tolerance and respect for all beings is the important thing.

Source(s): Buddhist
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Interesting, but as far as I know, Budda is worshipped as a God, and that's totally against what Islam is all about.

Just my opinion, I might be wrong, so don't take my word for it.

Peace.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

there is no a verse in the quran that talks about this buddha, however, all others prophets are mentioned, thus ur wrong

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

no he is not a prophet,

there is no proof anywhere in the world that could convince me that budda is a prophet, i didn't even look at the urls that you posted, if it is not written in the quran then i don't believe it. period.

• Dear all, as salaamu 'alaikum (= may peace be upon you all)

Please read these texts:

Al Qur'an Surah/Letter of Al Baqarah Verse 136 / 002:36 (PICKTHAL's translation): Say (O Muslims): We believe in Allah and that which is revealed unto us and that which was revealed unto Abraham, and Ishmael, and Isaac, and Jacob, and the tribes, and that which Moses and Jesus received, and that which the prophets received from their Lord. We make no distinction between any of them, and unto God we have surrendered (note: Abraham=Ibrahim, Ishmael=Ismail, Isaac=Ishaq, Jacob=Yaqoub, Moses=Musa, Jesus=Isa)

And, "O people! Muhammad has no sons among ye men, but verily, he is the Apostle of God and the last in the line of Prophets. And God is Aware of everything." (Surah Al Ahzab: 40 / 033:40)

Now, please read carefully again the sentence, "... and that which the prophets received from their Lord. We make no distinction between any of them, and unto God we have surrendered" means, surely includes all of the Prophets, all of their Holy Books, must be believed, learned, and followed by all muslim. But by the way, we do not believe in any Holy Book that had been treated/changed to become 'un-holy', like by adding somebody else's or lots of writers writings, intentionally or not, and had made it incorrect Holy Books, not strictly came from God. Well, let's continue: these Prophtes, came to human race, long before the era of The Prophet Jesus. For Jesus (= Isa/Eesa in Islam), even as we do not see him as God or Son of God (on this matter, please refer to Al Qur'an Surah Al Ikhlas 1-4 / 112:1-4), still there are parts of Al Qur'an dedicated for Mariah/Maria/Maryam and Jesus/Isa and their families, may upon him be peace. Clearly, these prophets came to humanity, surely even before Buddha. We, muslimin (male muslim) and muslimat (female muslim), must obey, believe, in all prophets, starting from Adam himself. If you care to read more literatures of Islam, you will also find famous names like Nuh (Noah/Hennoch), Luth (Loth), Harun (Aaron), and so on; by the way.

About Muhammad, may peace be upon him, when he reached the age of 40, the Archangel Gabriel/Jibril (Jeebreel) came to him with revelations that established his prophethood. He was first ordered to instruct his immediate family on Islam, including his beloved wife Khadija, but eventually it was revealed to him that he should begin delivering the message to all of mankind. In the next 20 years of his life, he communicated the message of Allah to his people, and set an example for how each human being should lead her or his life (mostly these examples written briefly in the book of the Hadits/Hadeeth, writings about his sayings, thoughts, actions).

Muhammad, peace be upon him, regarding, ALSO stated clearly that before him, God HAD SENT a lot of divine Prophets and Messegers; He said that some of them were granted Holy Books, their names were written in the Holy Books, but some of them, were NOT (unfortunately also lots of details was forgotten by men). Find this statement in the book of the Hadits (Hadeeth).

Furthermore, the teachings of of those prophets, the genuine Messengers, were all basically the same. It is very logical, isn't it, should they had carried-out the same messages? For instance, do you know that the Hindus are basically worshipping one God, The One, of whom they call, The Brahman? And some said, that the teachings of Buddha, had also added some part of the Sufi-ism, a mystical and deep psychological-philosophical form of Islam forms, especially arose from Afghanistan, and those regions, since it all formerly were Buddhist and Hindus territories. The wonderful thing is that, its foundations blended nicely, like long lost brothers finally met.

• 1 decade ago

Allah knows best, he not mentioned by name in the Quran as we would have to believe in him if he did. Allah knows best.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

no he isnt, where did u read that?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.