My brother has leukemia!!! Help me!!?

My brotheris only 15 years old he is diagnosed with leukemia, I dont know what type yet. Does any one knows anytihng about leukemia??? How can I help him?

Favorite Answer

Pray for him and let him know how much you love him. here is a website for clinical trials... http://www.clinicaltrials.gov put in the disease, hit map button for local trials and don't forget to turn the pages.

My friend's sister is 33 yrs old and she's suffering from AML type of leukemia. As other folks suggested please be there for him no matter what and also do as much research as possible. Involve your friends and collegaues to help you out with tasks as you may not be able to do all by yourself. Hope your brother gets into remission by chemo and gets cured completely. You will have 2 main challenges: 1) unfortunately if it reaches to a point where he might need a bone marrow transplant, you have to find a match 2)Finance for all treatment expenses.

We are conducting bone marrow drives in our offices, temples etc. and also setup a donation account for people to offer the generous and kind contributions.

First and for most: I'm so sorry about the news!

But stay positive..Cause that's what he needs..positive reinforcement and depending your religious background, prayer. Above all: Treat him as an equal! The last thing they want is to be treated differently.

My little sister had gotten acute leukemia when she was 5. She was practically near death. At age 10 she went into remission.. now shes gunna be 17 (still in remission i may add) and looking forward to college.

* if you ever just wanna talk or need some advice don't hesitate to email me! i love to help!

• Lisa

From my understanding of such issues, they can not reject the bone marrow should your brother be a match for your other brother - you see, the issues of ethics comes into play here and if your brother's life is at threadt due to his leukemia, the medical personnel can not reject the transplant (and if they do so much as attempt to, it can land them in seriously hot water). I wish you and your family all the best and my thoughts are with you. Try to stay positive and please overlook any negative feedback you may be getting - you don't deserve it!

The leukemias are cancers of the WBCs involving bone marrow, circulating WBCs, and organs such as the spleen and lymph nodes.

The goal of treatment is to get the blood counts and the bone marrow to normal. If this occurs, the cancer is considered to be in remission.

If you have acute lymphocytic leukemia, you'll need chemotherapy. For the first round of chemotherapy, you may need to go to the hospital for 3 to 6 weeks, but may later get chemotherapy on an outpatient basis. If you have a low white blood cell count, you may need to be placed in a room by yourself so you do not catch an infection.

Additional treatments depend on other symptoms. They may include:

* Transfusion of blood products, such as platelets or special red blood cells, to fight anemia

* Antibiotics to fight infection

If you go into remission, you may receive additional chemotherapy or radiation therapy to kill any cancer cells that are in the spinal fluid. You may also receive chemotherapy from time to time to prevent relapse.

If your leukemia returns or does not respond to other treatments, your doctor may recommend a bone marrow transplant after high-dose chemotherapy.

Please see the web pages for more details on Leukemia.

Pray for one, and don't treat him like an invalid for another. They have awesome success rates for cancer these days. Do as much research as you can so you understand what he's going through.

my cousin got it when she was 18. she is now 35 and is married and has a little girl. just be by his side, be strong for him, help him to maintain a positive attitude, that's what we did for my cousin and it helped. i wish you and your family well.

• Char

Check here for the best info:

http://www.leukemia-lymphoma.org/hm_lls

Best wishes

Source(s): Lymphoma Survivor

be there for him

no matter what kinda stuff they put in him

no matter how awful he looks

just be there

and dont disguise anything

Be there for him and pray that he gets better. Good luck