if two hazel eyed parents?

have two blue eyed childrenn. how does that work

Update:

i have three brothers the oldest has blue the other two have brown

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Ronald G is wrong. It is possible for 2 hazel eyed parents to have blue eyed children. The Brown eye gene is dominant and the Blue recessive so if both parents have a parent with blue eyes They could have a genetic make up of Bb (BROWNblue) so when their genes are conbined there are 3 possible outcomes BB, Bb and bb. bb will result in a blue eyed child, anything else will be brown. so there's a 1 in three chance of blue eyed kids.

    In other words the parents could be carrying the blue eyed gene and stil;l have brown (or hazel) eyes

    2 blue eyed parents could not have a brown eyed child since they would only have the blue eye gene.

    hope that helps, it's been a while since i studied this stuff!

    just read the answer above mine (Ressnick), he states it well and clearly (probably clearer than me!) so i don't know why someone gave him a thumbs down. with the exception that the chance of blue eyes is 1 in 3 not 50%

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Both parents could have been heterozygous (Bb) meaning they carried the recessive blue eyed gene. B, brown would be dominant over b, blue. When you do the punnett square that would result in the alleles BB, Bb, Bb, bb, which tells us that there would be a 25% chance (bb) that every time they conceive a child, the child can end up blue eyed. It is very possible.

    Yes there are 3 outcomes but it is not a 1 to 3 chance because Bb can happen twice (as I stated above), which reduces the results to a 25% possibility of the parents having blue eyed children.

  • 1 decade ago

    Other than the first answer, the others are basically right. However, you should know that eye color is actually pretty complicated in terms of genetics. After all, there is more than just blue and brown eyes. (like hazel for example.) because blue eyes are recessive it isn't too unusual to have a child with blue eyes when both parents are hazel or brown. Recessive means that you can have the gene without showing it. It can be masked by other genes.

    Odder things also sometimes happen because more than one gene location is involved.

  • James
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

    Eye color is determined by more than one gene. The traditional "brown-blue dominant-recessive" is an over-simplification.

    Also, how old are they? If one or both is under about 6 months of age, their eye color hasn't stabilized yet-- most Caucasian babies have blue eyes regardless of what their real eye color is.

    My parents both have brown eyes, but only my older brother has brown eyes. I have hazel, and my younger brother and sister have blue.

    Eye color is more complicated than you'd think.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

    if "A" has hazel eyes(phenotype=1 gene for hazel and other for blue)

    if"B" has hazel eyes(phenotype=1 gene for hazel and other for blue)

    they both marry and as we all kknow during the seggregation all the genes are organised separately and by chance effect both the children got "gene for blue" and they produced blue eyes.

    so in this case the chance of getting the blue eyes is 50%

    the "gene for hazel" is dominant over the"gene for blue" and when two recessives are present in the off spring , they get blue eyes

    that is very much possible dear.

  • 1 decade ago

    Xgf is correct. 25% chance blue (recessive). And 75% brown broken down into: 50% chance brown (heterozygous) and 25% chance brown (dominate).

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    well it is very rare as blue eyes are a recesive gene but genetics can skip generations, i kno i have red hair and me and my brother are the only ones for ages in our family. it is prob just that the gene skiped a generation

  • 1 decade ago

    Sounds like you were adopted......the child always has one of the parents eye color 100% FACT....start asking them this question...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.