If I have dual citizenship (US/Mexico).........?

And I travel to Mexico, do I still need an American Passport?

Thans Velo.. Im going to Oaxaca so I guess I need to get my passport? How long does it take to get one?

Favorite Answer

If you have a dual citizen ship in Mexico with the US. You will be okay to travel in Mexico, just be way that if your going past Kilometro 65 in the state of Chihuahua you might be asked for proof of Mexican Citizenship such as a Mexican passport or the IFE id card. I would suggest that you get a US passport so you will not have any problems entering the US.

Mexico is starting to require US citizens to show proof of US citizenship. This does not apply to you since your a dual citizen, just contact a Mexican consulate in your area for more information.

http://www.consulmexny.org/eng/visas_fmt_us_canada...

http://portal.sre.gob.mx/eua/

It doesn't take to long just take cash with you when you go get your passport. Oh and have your picture taken already. You know the ones for passport, you can get your passport pic at any FedEx Kinkos locations.

You should call first before going that way you can have an appointment. Also ask what paper you might need, that way you have everything ready.

I almost forgot it takes about 10 to 30 minutes if you have an appointment. But call to get a scheduled one, because if you don't you have to wait in a huge long line.

You can do a google for mexican consulates (state city your in) and call the number in your city.

For the immediate future, no. Traveling by car or boat to Mexico, Canada, and the Caribbean will require only a certified Birth Certificate or something similar and a photo ID until at least summer of 2008. The Government will give at least a 60 day warning window and then Passports will be required.

To enter the US by land (car, foot, bicycle etc), you need proof of identity and proof of citizenship status. Currently this can be accomplished with a drivers license/ID card for identity and a birth certificate for citizenship status. For resident aliens, a "green card" would be used in place of the birth certificate. To enter the US via air (and sea I think) you need a passport. Starting 1/1/2008 (current schedule) you will need a passport for all entry in to the US. Even while not required for land entry, a passport does make traveling across the border much easier.

You will need a passport to get back into the U.S. when the government fineally gets it's crap together. As of right now you don't since they can not figure out how to process the passport requests that have been filed.

You will need your passport to get back into the US.

• Not currently, but soon you will need one to get back into the U.S.