What is the real difference between a lake and a pond???

Lake vs. Pond

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Coco28
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The main difference between a lake and a pond is the size. A lake is usually defined as a body of water large enough to have at least one wind-swept beach; ponds usually are not large enough for winds to blow across the water and create waves to wash away the plants that may be trying to take root. A lake is too deep for rooted plants to grow except near the shore.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

The main difference between a lake and a pond is the size

• 1 decade ago

In general it is the size, but the other difference is in how they are made. Lakes generally are found at the end of a stream or rivulet while ponds tend to be water that has gathered at a landscape depression during a rainy season. Therefore the depth is also a distinguishing factor, lakes tend to be deeper than ponds.

• wolf
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

for one thing lakes can be very large and ponds are usually small and some of them do not even have a fresh water source. lakes mostly do and there are no frogs in a large lake and a lot in ponds. lake can be glacial lakes but ponds have never been in that category.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Obviously size comes into play, but also, the lake has an inlet and an outlet (i.e. a stream or river is involved). A pond will normally have no defined inlet and no outlet. Obviously, it will receive runoff from the land, but the lake has a regular flow to it as the water moves through from one end to the other.

• 4 years ago

To be honest, it is all about where you live. I have seen bodies of water that would be called lakes in my old home state of Florida, be called ponds in Michigan and Minnesota. The definition is by size but the limit is arbitrary. I have seen man-made lakes and natural ponds.

• 1 decade ago

Obviously size is a factor in which they are different. But the lakes have streams running into them and out of them...ponds are made simply from rain and other run off from land...their size is always changing.

• 1 decade ago

A pond usually has a visible floor at it's deepest depth. So basically, the depth.

• 1 decade ago

Square feet. ponds are smaller

• 1 decade ago

the size

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.