What are the origins of the "gay voice"?

For one reason or another, a certain accent that some men have has come to be associated with homosexuality (if you live in North America, you know the one I mean). Many people assume that men who speak with that accent are gay, and it has been my experience that although they are not always correct, they often... show more For one reason or another, a certain accent that some men have has come to be associated with homosexuality (if you live in North America, you know the one I mean). Many people assume that men who speak with that accent are gay, and it has been my experience that although they are not always correct, they often are. Where did this “gay voice” come from? Is it appropriate to say that men with the accent are more likely to be gay? If so, how or why do some gay men develop a “gay voice”?

I hope I’m not offending anyone, but I think it’s a legitimate question that few people ask or think about. Thank you for your answers :)