Citizenship?

What would be a better solution give up my American Citizenship or try for dual Citizenship? BTW, does anyone know the rules for acquiring Citizenship in Japan?

• Acyla
    Favorite Answer

There is no such thing as dual citizenship with the Japanese. They don't allow it.

Wikipedia says to become a Japanese citizen. It doesn't seem quite that difficult but they are rather strict. I think the hardest thing you may find is to give away your nationality (I know of a few people who became Japanese and they say they don't allow dual citizenship and most of them change their names to Japanese ones).

---Continuous residence in Japan for five years or more

At least 20 years old and otherwise legally competent

History of good behavior generally, and no past history of seditious behavior

Sufficient capital or skills, either personally or within family, to support oneself

Stateless or willing to renounce foreign citizenship ----

Easiest way with them in marriage. *shrugs*

I think you can easily look up some Japanese gov website. But I think you retain US citizenship unless you make the choice to renounce it officially.

i citzship