Help !Muslims Only Please?

theres a lot of controversy in Islam today. on one side you have wahabbiis that are saying that reading salaam on the rasool is shirk. on the other side you have the sufis who say that God forgives all sins even shirk and reading salaam on the rasool is not shirk at all. it jsut seems really hard to decide what to do. everyone is obviously acting out of good will (noone wants to go to jahanam). what exactly is shirk and what is the correct way to follow islam that is "safe". i try a lot to avoid major sins like shirk, and im terrified if i accidentally do it or something. what is the deal>?

SINCERE ANSWERS ONLY FROM MUSLIMS ONLY. DON'T WANNA CONVERT OR ANYTHING, JUST WANNA BE A MOMIN.

Favorite Answer

In the Name of Allah, Most Compassionate and Merciful

As-salamu 'alaykum.

Insha-Allah this reaches you in the best of 'afiya and iman.

We are certainly at a crossroads today in understanding Islam. Some might call it a crisis. Our Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) warned us of this state as we approach the day of judgement, when our scholars are slowly removed from the earth and ignoramuses are left to give fatwas left, right, and center with no idea what they are talking about. We see that anyone with access to the internet can start up a website and say anything -- and in our times, people will actually listen.

It would help to not just think of Islam as a battle between Wahabis and sufis. It's important to understand the terms we're mentioning. The term "wahabi" is overused in our times. Originally, these were people that killed everyone that didn't shave their head and follow the tenets of their shaykh, Muhammad ibn Abdul-Wahab, as they declared them to be kafirs, finding it permissible to take their women as slaves. This sect still exists in the form of people now calling themselves "Salafis." Obviously, the original tenor of the group is not quite the same, but the tremendous harm being done to Muslims and non-Muslims by these people is obvious, and their wild ideas have no basis in anthing passed down by the imams of our religion in a chain back to the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace.) Understand that a sect is a group that denegrates all the Muslims that don't belong to their group or calls them kafirs, etc. (For a brief history of the sect, you could read Hamid Algar's "Wahabism: A Critical Essay.") Wahabism is most certainly a sect and Allah has forbidden sects in the Qur'an very clearly.

Sufism is the science of sincerity, and it's one of a number of Islamic disciplines. It's important to keep in mind that there is no such thing as "sufi fiqh" or "sufi aqidah", but rather you take your fiqh from a faqih in one of the four madhhabs of ahl as-sunnah wa'l jama'ah, you take your aqidah from an aqidah teacher, you take your tafseer from one of the mufasareen, and you take tasawwuf from a sufi. Each discipline has content that relates specifically to the subject area. It is extremely important that your teacher in each area -- especially in tasawwuf -- be connected in an unbroken chain back to the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace.) This is how our religion has been preserved... By sitting with someone who sat with someone who sat with someone who sat with a sahabi who sat with the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace), so that the state of the person is passed on from person to person -- not just words on a page.

Blessings on the Prophet (Allah bless him and give hime peace) is of the greatest acts of worship that can be done, as the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) indicated to us in many hadith, including one where he indicates to a sahabi that it would be best dedicate all of his superogatory worship to sending blessings on himself. The benfits of this practice are too numerous to even get into in great detail. I recommend getting ahold Dalail al-Khayrat, a book of blessings on the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) by Imam Jazuli and reciting a section from it each day, as has been the practice of many Muslims from Morocco to Indonesia for hundreds of years. (I believe the book is available in the bookstore at www.sunnipath.com)

Shirk is taking something else as a god besides Allah. I've never heard of any Muslim actually doing this. Most things people are calling shirk in our times (amongst the Muslims) are not actually shirk -- at worst, some are sins, and at best, some are acts of worship that Allah loves.

The way of safety is always best, as you mention. In order to be safe, follow what the majority of Muslims have always done for the majority of Islamic history. In other words, beware of little bands of men who come along and say, "No one has ever understood Islam until me and my little group have come along and figured it out." Allah has made it clear to us that the ummah will never reach consensus on a manifest error. Sticking with the jama'ah is extremely important. Sit with a teacher who's qualified to teach you a fiqh text in one of the four madhhabs (Hanafi, Maliki, Shafi'i, or true, authentic Hanbali) and take your aqida in the same manner, from someone teaching Ashari (preferably) or Maturidi aqida. As for sufism, don't listen to anyone except one who is truly connected in one of the authentic chains (Naqshabandi, Shadhili, etc.). If you can't find people where you are to teach you these things, get a basic book that explains basics (like Nuh Keller's translation of Imam Nawawi's "Al-Maqasid" in fiqh, Hamza Yusuf's new "The Creed of Imam Tahawi" in aqida, or some sections from Imam Ghazali's "Ihya Ulum al-Din" in basic tasawwuf concepts.) www.sunnipath.com also offers interactive courses online if you can't find a scholar to sit with face-to-face. And Allah Alone gives success. And all praise is due to Allah, Lord of all the worlds.

Was-salam.

Salam :) I'm a Muslim teenager living in Canada. I wear hijab alhamdullilah and it's for the most part accepted here since i live in a big city with a sizeable Muslim population. I do get the few ignorant comments and idiots at school though who ask stuff like "yo got a bomb under there hahaha". But the hardest part is being different from your friends. Being a Muslim, parties, alcohol dating boys wearing revealing clothing etc is haram, and while I don't want to do that anyway, it can be a little awkward to have to explain why I don't do it to people who consider it just a part of being a teenager and its ordinary to them. Muslims living in Muslim countries definitely have it easier when it comes to fitting in. And with food it can be a little tricky but I always try to read the label if I'm not sure of the ingredients. But I wouldn't wanna be any other religion no matter how difficult it gets and how different I feel from everyone else, I'm glad to be Muslim :)

Shirk means associating a partner with the one true god Allah.Shirk is any act or belief that contradicts with monotheism (Tawheed or belief in the oneness of Allah). We believe in Allah's oneness in all of his attributes that is, He has no associate in His divinity, His God ship, His names, or His attributes. Allah says in the Qur'an: "He is the Lord of the heavens and the Earth and all that is in between them, so worship Him and be patient in His worship; do you know any equal to Him?" (19:65).

Examples of shirk: (1)to ask the prophet or any dead person for help. because only Allah is the sustainer. (2) the belief in Trinity .God says in the Quran :"Surely, disbelievers are those who said: "Allâh is the third of the three (in a Trinity)." But there is no llâh (god) (none who has the right to be worshipped) but One Ilâh (God -Allâh). And if they cease not from what they say, verily, a painful torment will befall on the disbelievers among them " (5:73) (3) swearing by anything other than Allah .

and there are other examples.

Wahhabis: Muslims who are called Wahhabis reject this name because they say we aren't a new sect of Muslims. and indeed I think that anyone who tries to follow the quran and sunnah would have the same beliefs of the so called wahhabis.and Wahhabis don't say that reading salam on the prophet is shirk (All Muslims do this in the tashahhud right? so how can it be shirk?) but asking the prophet for help or saying that the prophet knows the unseen is shirk

"Say (O Muhammad SAW): "I possess no power over benefit or hurt to myself except as Allâh wills. If I had the knowledge of the Ghaib (unseen), I should have secured for myself an abundance of wealth, and no evil should have touched me. I am but a warner, and a bringer of glad tidings unto people who believe." Quran(7:188)

Sufis: there are so many sects of Sufis and they have mixed Islam with philosophy and made it very complicated and hard to understand. Sufis have altered Islam and invented new feasts and rituals which were not at the time of the prophet or his successors.and Some Sufis do very clear shirk.

How does a Muslim know what belief to follow? simple work your mind and figure out who follows the Quran and the Sunnah strictly and who follows his mood and what he likes.

and finally I would be glad if you join my Yahoo group where we will discuss these issues in detail in shaa Allah

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/truth_stands_out/

I suggest that you try "Dr. Ali Shariati"'s books to easily understand what is "shirk" n what is not (That's why Jean Pual Sartre said : "I have no religion, but if I were to choose one, it would be that of Shariati's") . Shirk doesn't just mean god is one n he's not two . When you say there's no god besides allah , it means , Oh god I'll just worship you with all my heart , I'll just obey you , I'd just pray to you , I'll just ask you , I'll just expect you to help me . n that's why muhammad always said I invite you to repeat a sentence which is easy to say but defficult to practise . As "Samantha" said Shia resources seems to be more logical . Much reasonable than "Muhammad Ibn Abdol Wahab" who claims : when night comes n everyone's asleep , god comes to down to earth n he gets back at dawn ... The man did not know earth is a globe ...

Good Luck .

Here is a book that explains lots of stuff...

Peshawar Nights:

http://www.al-shia.com/html/eng/books/peshawar/toc...

I hope u find ur answer...

i reported you for discriminating against non-muslims...

welcome to all

plz visit this tink

http://www.alemam-alsajjad.net/vb/