Environmentally speaking, why are some places GREENER than others?

why are some geographical areas seemingly more 'green' than others? here in the states, many of the 'good ideas' discussed here on YA are already being implemented in places like washington, oregon, minnesota... but you seldom see any mention of interest in many of the other parts of the nation. ... show more why are some geographical areas seemingly more 'green' than others?

here in the states, many of the 'good ideas' discussed here on YA are already being implemented in places like washington, oregon, minnesota... but you seldom see any mention of interest in many of the other parts of the nation.

what exactly is it about certain parts of the USA (or please feel free to use your country if you're not an american) that make them more open than others to 'green' ideas like sustainability, permaculture, and ecologically sound planning? is it the people living there? the physical environment they're in? the experience and proximity of native american populations who historically respect the earth? is it that the presence of a few enlightened individuals in a locality is enough to make that much of a difference?

and if i'm wrong, tell me why you think so! thanks in advance.
Update: topgunstyle: i agree wholeheartedly. an enlightened populace is key.
9 answers 9