Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 1 decade ago

Who's your favorite female/feminist novelist?

Mine's Kris Radish I absolutely loooove her books! I've often wondered if her books are marinated in estrogen before being distributed lol. (if you haven't had a chance to read one, pick up a copy, "Dancing Naked at the Edge of Dawn" "Annie Freeman's Fabulous Traveling Funeral" "The Sunday List of Dreams" or "The Elegant Gathering of White Snows"<my personal fav)

Anyway lol, Who's your favorite?

oh yeah Kate Chopin is awesome, i love "the story of an hour"

well Nisha> if you do enjoy her books after reading them and you are on myspace there's a fan-club i moderate if you'd like to join e-mail me and i'll give you the web address

Favorite Answer

I"m only recommending authors I've read, but there are so many wonderful authors and books:

Feminist:

-Charlotte Bunch: Passionate Politics-Feminist Theory in Action

-Jo Freeman: Women: A Feminist Perspective

-Marilyn French: The Women's Room

-Peggy Orestein: SchoolGirls

-Sally Cline and Dale Spender: Reflecting Men at Twice their Natural Size

-Suzanne Pharr: Homophobia: A Weapon of Sexism

-Anne Wilson Schaef: Women's Reality-An Emerging Female System in a White Male Society

Sci-Fi:

-Octavia Butler: Read all her books, I think the most creative SF writer ever (all her primary protagonists are women)

-Charlotte Perkins Gilman: Herland (classic feminist SF)

-Elizabeth Lynn: Out of print, but excellent if you can find it

Mystery:

-Marcia Muller, I've read most of her books, she was foremother to Susan Grafton, Patricia Cornwell & Sara Paretsky

Fiction:

-Jane Austen, I've read all her books

-Ayn Rand, I've read most of her books

Southern: Fannie Flagg: Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe

Non-Fiction: Molly Ivins

Women's Art: Annie Leibovitz: Women

Lesbian:

-Rita Mae Brown: Six of One (read most of hers, quite a few are hilarious)

-Isabel Miller: Patience and Sarah

Women's Sexuality:

-Boston Women's Health Book Collective Staff, Our Bodies, Ourselves

-Shere Hite: Women and Love

There are so many great suggestions on here. I completely agree with Margaret Atwood. She has over 20 novels, many of them overtly feminist. The Edible Woman, Surfacing, Alias Grace... and so on. Two other great Canadian novelists are Margaret Laurence (The Diviners, Stone Angel) and Carol Shields (Unless, Swann, The Stone Diaries --the latter won the Pulitzer prize). Charlotte Perkins Gilman's The Yellow Wallpaper is timeless...a wonderful read. I know many people wouldn't have heard of this book, so I thought I'd let avid feminist readers know about a book called "Shackles," published in 1926, and re-issued in 2005. It is startling how feminist this book is for the time period (author Madge Macbeth). The person who re-issued the novel is Peggy Kelly--if you can find it, trust me, you'll be amazed at how insightful it is. Another book from the same era, also Canadian, is called "Wild Geese" by Martha Ostenso (it has also been re-issued by ECW press). It is about a family under the control of a brutal man and how the daughter overcomes his tyranny. Not only is it overtly feminist, it is an absolutely beautifully written book. I believe the Anne of Green Gables series (and, particularly, The Blue Castle) is, and has been critiqued, as feminist (author L. M. Montgomery).

South African Olive Schreiner is another excellent feminist writer (she had a theory that all marriages were prostitution, and explains why she thinks this). She won the nobel prize for literature. I have to mention both Mary Wollstonecraft and Mary Shelley, as they wrote specifically on women's issues. Angela Carter is great as well--she has done revisions of classic fairy tales from a feminist perspective. Toni Morrison and Alice Walker are both excellent. It may sound strange, but I do believe Gone with the Wind (Margaret Mitchell) is an amazingly pro-woman book (despite many flaws) as it allows for Scarlett to be a strong woman in an era when women were expected to be docile. Betty Smith's "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" is one of my all-time favourites. Harriet Arnow's "The Dollmaker" also portrays women as strong in adversity. I also think Wally Lamb's "She's Come Undone," while not by a woman, is a very female-oriented novel about overcoming victimization of all sorts. The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan, Obasan by Joy Kogawa, and anything by Germaine Greer.

This is a great question that got me thinking about some of the amazing women writers there are out there. Happy reading!

Sue Grafton-not great literature but a fun read. Nancy Drew

for adults

Shirley Jackson - she creeps me out. The "Lottery" has to be the best short story ever written in modern literature.

Carole Douglas-good plots and characters. Love here Irene Adler series

Kathy Reichs- Bones is based on her life. Good coroner stories

Ann Perry

Oates- is there anything she can't write about?

Stabenow-good mysteries that take place in Alaska-love Alaska.

Laurie King-Sherlock Holmes stories, love SH

Anne Perry-good London mysteries-love old London

Penman-excellent historical writing

My favorite is Barbara Kingsolver, especially Prodigal Summer and her book of essays, High Tide in Tucson. She can be a little heavy-handed in some of her longer novels, but they're just so well written and I find them so powerful and inspirational.

Coming in close behind her are Jhumpa Lahiri (Interpreter of Maladies, The Namesake) and Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni (Sister of My Heart, Mistress of Spices). All of the above are just beautifully written, gorgeous imagery and vast, arcing storylines.

I don't know Kris Radish, but I'll definitely check some of these books out, they sound great! Thanks!

ETA: I can't believe I forgot Toni Morrison. I am kicking myself! I adore Toni Morrison, especially The Bluest Eye. So simple but so heartwrenching.

I like Audre Lorde. She's a very poetic writer. And Adrienne Rich, though she's officially a poet, not a novelist. I just read her recent collection, _The Fact of a Doorframe_, for an American lit class.

• Junie

I like Amy Tan - "The Kitchen God's Wife" was an inspiring story about a woman in China in WWII. Also, anything by Jane Austen, but I'm not sure she qualifies as "feminist".

Ooooh, thanks for the great additions to my "next reads" list!

I like Margaret Atwood (The Handmaid's Tale) and Tom Robbins (Even Cowgirls get the Blues, Still Life with Woodpecker, among others - and yes, he's a male feminist).

I *wish* I could add Virginia Woolfe to my faves, because I enjoy the content, but I find her style exhausting to follow.

Don't know if you'd call it feminist, but I like The Awakening by Kate Chopin. Most current "feminist" novels are way too depressing.

Marion Zimmer Bradley, particularly with "The Mists of Avalon" and "Firebrand". Stories of strong women changing the shape of fate, and good writing, moreover. My absolute favorites.

Barbara Kingsolver's novels are all amazing as are Toni Morrison's Beloved and The Passion of Artemisia by

Susan Vreeland. The Color Purple written by Alice Walker has always been one of my personal favourites. Thanks for the information with regards to your favourites I will order them for my summer reading.