hopeeholly asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

Does my cat think that she is a dog?

I have a dog and she is about 8 years old. About a year ago we rescued a kitten and she was about 4-6 weeks old, although the vet said that she was 8 weeks old. I don't know if it is just because my cat grew up with my dog, but she seems to have all of my dog's quirky mannerisms. Does she really believe that she is a dog due to the lack of a cat in her upbringing?

Favorite Answer

No, probably not. Though it's possible that your cat saw a 'mother figure' in your dog. It would only be natural to try to behave as a dog. =)

Cats are pretty smart and it is taking the lead of the dog since there are no other cats around. We had a 5 year old dog who use to sleep in his dog house outside. We got this kitten which was suppose to be a house cat. One day we couldn't find her and we searched all over. Then my wife saw the kitten laying on top of the dog by the dog house. We brought it back in. The next day the same thing. This went on and on until we finally gave up. Now cat and dog live together in the dog house and both could not be happier,

She just picked up some doggy mannerisms due to being around dogs when she grew up.

It certainly works the other way. Years ago, my mom and I had a dog that had pups at the same time as 2 cats had kittens. The puppies and kittens all grew up together, and the pups ended up all being cat lovers. They would even come when you called "here kitty kitty kitty!"

it's absolutley a possibility. but i don't think it's so much that she believes she's a dog, but has taken up some habits from them. I rescued my cat when she was one week old, and she was introduced to my dog the week we got her. Till this day she will stretch like him and drink out of the loo just like him! But she's actually quite normal though. and the good thing about her dog like qualities are that she can defiantley protect herself! another good trait she got from my dog. so no worries!

No, she's a cat, but she's using dog language to communicate because that's what the dog is using. She's figured out that it works, so there's no reason for her not to act that way, in her mind. It's nothing to worry about. Consider her 'bilingual' in dog language!

no it is just how she acts i have a cat who acts like a dog and a dog who acts like a cat

You really don't have to worry unless she starts to bark at the mailman.Or chase another cat up a tree.

no cause i have a kitty and it acts like a dog. it comes to a whistle. her mother (they have no dogs in this house) goes and gets her toy mouse and meows until we take it and throw it and then it starts all over.