Why do southerners fly the confederate flag?

Besides offending black people, isn't it just a reminder of how the Union whooped confederate behind?

I would think it would be a source of shame.

You largely don't see today's Germans waving the nazi flag do you?

Satan's attorney,

Watch some videos of the white supremicists protesting against the civil rights during the 60s. You will find them waving the confederate flag.

You know who else waves the confederate flag?

The klan.

Favorite Answer

You might want to ask why people in California wave the Mexican flag or people in New York fly the Puerto Rican flag.

Southerners still fly the Confederate flag because it represents a time in our nation when the South succeded from the Union and during that time the civil war occured in which many of todays peoples' southern ancestors fought in and died in. Sometimes the flag is flown to honor Confederate soldiers who died for the south. I live in a rural area in GA where if you don't have a confederate flag you can consider yourself dead. No the Flag does not represent slavery nor racism. In addition the civil war was not fought over slavery it started the same reason the Revoloutionary war started "taxation without representation. The germans dont fly a swastika because its different the Nazi party doesnt exsist any more and nobody in germany wants to be labeled as a nazi. The South Will Rise Again

Uh, usually they fly them to piss off northerners, or to identify themselves as proud southerners.

No it isn’t just a reminder of the Union defeating the confederates. Why do most civil war re-enactments happen in the south and not the north? It is history, remembering history, and pride in coming from some where. It has nothing to do with slavery, or racism, as most northerners like to brand it.

Why do we have WWII memorials? Is racism against Japanese ok? Don’t you think it offends all Japanese having a statue of the Marines Raising Flag on Iwa Jima? Don’t you feel shamed of the racism that statue implies? Especially after the 2 atomic bombs being dropped? Or do you look at is as a piece of history and a tribute to those who fought, died, and should be remembered?

The south is my home.

Keep in mind that it's all about perspective. Your perspective of the confederate flag is racism and oppression.

Many poeple's perspective, including mine, is different. And I'm not a racist, nor do I want slavery.

The Civil War was also about State's versus Federal Rights. And to some poeple, the "battleflag" is more symbolic of the southern traditions around individual responsibility, State's rights, and American heritage.

I think the one real negative of the Civil War outcome was that we lost our State's rights and independence. Something our founders did not want in my opinion.

Robert E Lee did not fight for the south because he wanted slavery. Quite the opposite actually. He was against it. Robert E Lee fought for the South because Virginia chose to stand against the union and his legence was to his State.

I wish we had more of that in today's political system. Our Federal government has become WAY to powerful.

Sorry you see the flag as a source of shame. It's not to me. I would not wave one now because the flag has been used for such negativity. But keep in mind that when I was young in the 80s, many southern blacks in my community carried the flag proudly.

The confederate flag made its comeback in the 1960's. It was rarely used by anyone in the south from the end of the civil war until the 1960's.

Primarily it was a way of saying "F you" to the blacks and northerns for desegreation.

The Stars and Bars flying Democrats have long gone replaced by the Dixiecrat's of the 50s and 60s and totally absorbed into the Regan Democrats which are the republicons in disguise.

There is no reason for the flag to offend anyone. It was the national flag of the Confederate States of America. Nothing more, nothing less. Who cares if they fly it? Let them hold on to their heritage.

It's part of their heritage and pride. They have every right to fly that flag... It's American history. People like you complain about that flag being flown but don't complain about immigrants waving their flags which have no place on American soil. You need to get your priorities straight and worry about you and only you!

300,000 dead isn't whooping behind - it winning in the knick of time

the flag didn't stand for anything bad- the battle flag nevr had anything to do with slavery- it was a battle flag used to show the confederate forces- the first National flag was the flag of the south but nobody say anything about it

BIG difference. The only racists are those like you to attempt to create something out of nothing. Be proud of yourself. :)