ADHD child entering middle school need advice on what needs to be done before school starts?

My son is entering 6th grade and has an IEP in place from grade school, Im curious to see how this year will develope considering last year was horrible and IEP was not being followed at all. What should I do to get ready for this year and should I go to the school and get things squared away before the year starts... show more My son is entering 6th grade and has an IEP in place from grade school, Im curious to see how this year will develope considering last year was horrible and IEP was not being followed at all. What should I do to get ready for this year and should I go to the school and get things squared away before the year starts and if so who should I speak to at the school first. Ive been told to go to the counselor first and just start a discussion and get the basics out of the way but I was told that this is not the way to go by the special ed teacher from last year.
I love my son dearly and do not want him to have the frustrations that he delt with last year with teachers and other students. He has a high IQ but was bringing home d's and f's which is not like him and his teacher was not helping to work with him at all. It took me going to the pricipal to get things straightened out (this is after numerous attempts to speak and work with teacher). Please help me decide a plan of action to help.
Update: Actuall he is on meds and the teacher last year is retiring this year and I was told many, many times by the school that his teacher was OLD SCHOOL teacher and would probably never change. Great excuse huh?