Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

How do I get my cat to stop getting the baby birds out of their nest on our deck?

The nest is in a hanging pot above the railing on the deck. my cat does not wear a collar because she finds a way to get them off and The baby birds cannot fly. We just put out a bird house. I dont want to puut sauce because it might keep the mom away.

The nest is in a hanging pot above the railing on the deck. my cat does not wear a collar because she finds a way to get them off and The baby birds cannot fly. We just put out a bird house. I dont want to puut sauce because it might keep the mom away. I've also been keep her inand this morning I let her out and watched her and I turned away and she got one again, but they are still alive.

Best Answer

Do NOT use a shock collar unless you intend to test it fully on yourself first - ie see how unpleasant it is !!!!

Keep it indoors for now, see if you can "scare" the birds off to make another nest - by this i mean possibly make loudish noises and rustle stuff, but not too close to them so they dont come back for the young ones. Try and scare them enough to move their nest. Don't try and pick it up - I know with other animals if it smells of something else than they are used to they may not come back for the young, they may even attack ....

The bell on the collar may help for adult birds, but the babies can't fly away. You didn't specify where the nest is, in a tree by the deck, a birdhouse on a pole, or where? If there is some way to put up a temporary barrier like some chicken wire or the kind of cones that keep squirrels out of bird feeders, etc. I would try that. Only other thing you can do is keep the cat in (at least when you aren't home).

I'd try what a couple of the others said: a bell and some hot sauce. A bell might not help if the chicks are too young to fly. But maybe some cayenne pepper around and on the base of the tree or pole the cat climbs will keep it away. Or maybe some dog urine on the tree would scare the cat.

Try putting wire under the bird house so that it will hang beyond the sides of the birdhouse itself and bend the sides of the wire down just far enough so that when the cat goes up for the birds he can't get to them because the wire is in the way of him moving forward towards the birds. This will also protect the baby birds from falling to the ground from their nest before they can fly.

Source(s): Been there - Done that and it works!!!

I have never tried, but I heard putting pine cones around an area or spraying hot sauce works good.

You can't. It's natural for your cat to do that. I think those birds better find a better place for their nest.

keep the cat in until the birds are grown

Try a collor with a loud bell on it. This works for a while until the cat learns to move quietly with it on. Other then that there's nothing you can do. Sorry.

try giving the cat somthing else it will like more than the birds. :)

shock collar, shock it whenever it starts to climb. Not only will it learn, it is pretty funny too