how many years or miles should it be before you change your car's tires?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Depends on too many different factors: Type of tire, mileage life of tire, frequency of tire rotation, driving habits... Just rotate your tires every 5K to 7.5K and watch your tread wear.

• 1 decade ago

Most state laws say they must be replaced at 2/32" The idea above about the penny is a great one, but not quite accurate. If you put a penny in the tread upside down and you can see all of Lincoln's head, you have 2/32" left. Replace them.

Really, you probably want to replace them a little before then.

As far as how many years or miles, it depends. Tires that came on your car (brand new from the factory) tend to be terrible and last about 2-3 years or 30,000 miles.

Other tires you can buy will last anywhere from about 30,000 miles to close to 100,000 miles. Just realize that the mileage of the tire they tell you is not exact and is just used as sort of a guide to help you understand how much longer to expect a tire to last as compared to others. It is also used to prorate the cost of the tire if it needs replacing early.

If you're looking for something long term, I would suggest the Toyo 800 Ultra tire. It offers great comfort, little road noise, and is rated at 100,000 miles. One nice benefit is (if you get it from an authorized dealer...ask if they offer this) it comes with a 100 day/3,000 mile test drive. This is what I put on my own cars.

I've also never really had many complaints about good Michelin tires. The 60,000 mile MXV4 tire is an excellent choice. There's something distinct about the Michelin tires that you just know they're built with quality in mind.

If you're looking to sell the car to your daughter's ex boyfriend's girl that he cheated on her with, go with bear tires. They're crappy and she'll be replacing them soon. But it will at least look like you have a new set of tires on there.

Happy hunting!

Matt

• 1 decade ago

As a rule of thumb: 5 years or 50K miles.

HOWEVER.............................................

If your tires show less than 2/32" of remaining tread at any portion of the contact patch, or have many noticeable cracks in the rubber, have your tires inspected by a qualified professional.

Where and how you drive are factors in determining a tire's expected lifespan. If you have been hearing scare-mongering stories of Old Tires, rest assured that tires are tough. Tires can take a LOT of abuse before they fail. The 5-year/50K mile rule of thumb is just that: an average.

Or, as our favorite Evil Pirate once said: "Guidelines".

If, however, you want to buy some new tires, look me up.

Source(s): ASE Certified Service Consultant 7year Michelin/BFGoodrich/Uniroyal Product Expert Goodyear Certified Bridgestone/Firestone Certified
  • 1 decade ago

tires made for the last two decades have wear indicator that make a bald line across the tire to indicate tire tread depth is being exceeded. As far as the number of years what is usually used to determine too old is if the outside wall where the letters are start to get fine cracks it is time to replace even if the tire tread is still good.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

On the average about every 40,000 miles, provided that you had good quality tires to begin with.

• 300SD
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

when they look bald. get a penny and if the penny goes in more than half the tires are good

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.