What is the main difference between a strategist and a tactician?

During World War II, it was said by many that Gen. George Patton was the best strategist in the Allied forces, but that Gen. Erwin Rommel was the best tactition of all the generals throughout the war, even between the Allied and Axis forces. Could someone clue me in as to the main difference between the two?... show more During World War II, it was said by many that Gen. George Patton was the best strategist in the Allied forces, but that Gen. Erwin Rommel was the best tactition of all the generals throughout the war, even between the Allied and Axis forces.

Could someone clue me in as to the main difference between the two? For example, what do both descriptions entail?

I know many will debate on who was the best general during the war, and everyone is rightly entitled to their opinions. All I really need is a detailed description of the definitions.