moondrop000 asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

My Siamese cat is getting really skinny? I am worried about him.?

He is about 7-8 years old. He is skin and bones. My other 5 cats are fat and happy. Is this typical of Siamese cats? People are starting to make comments and I feel guilty. I keep feeding him on the counter so he is not interrupted by other cats, but he eats so little.

• Malia
    Favorite Answer

He's not an old cat. He could have some sort of internal parasite that's eating away at him. Ask your vet to get him tested for worms. Or have you had him tested for FeLV/FIV or FIP? Your vet will know what those abbreviations mean. You can do a google search on them as well. When a cat is skin & bones, it's not good.

Try feeding it Purina Kitten Chow. We've had to do that for EXTREMELY skinny stray cats, not kittens, for them to gain their weight back. It works! Soft food daily is good as well. Kitten canned I mean.

Call a vet and talk to them about your cat.

I hope all goes well!!

Source(s): 6 cats, raised many since birth

He needs an appointment at the vets right away! Siamese cats are skinny by nature, but they also can suffer from a variety of genetic problems, including problems with kidney and thyroid gland fuction. A basic blood panel can determine what the problem is and medication may be necessary. Only a doctor can give you sound advice regarding this cat, but you need to get him to the vets ASAP!!!

This could be a serious sign.

I ignored this same sign and assumed that my cat was just small in nature and was getting old (she was 13y). I feel so terrible now because there was something seriously wrong and by the time I took her to the vet I was too late......please dont make my mistake.......get him an appointment ASAP!

P.S. both me and my mother own siamese cats and mine is over 20lbs and hers is also very large.

I had a problem thats sounds similar. My cat was loosing weight and not eating or drinking. My cats problem was a hairball that was stuck. My vet gave me medicine to try to get it to come up you can also try to give vaseline. A little bit on you fingertip and it helps by getting rid of hairballs by the cat "pooping it out" instead of throwing it up. I would take the cat to the vet. My cat had to get fluids forced into her. It took a few days for my cat to get back to normal, but she is fine now

Take your cat to the vet right away! There are several different things that can cause a cat to lose weight, and he could die if he doesn't get help soon. I recently had a cat who lost a lot of weight, and I was about to take her to the vet when she suddenly died. Take your cat to the vet to see if you can help him before it's too late.

As what Felix said. We had a Siamese that we just loved. Lift up the cat's lip to see it's gums, if they are not pink it is a sign of anemia.

Take him to the vet. There can be tons of reasons for a cat not eating and losing weight, but they all need medical attention.

It sounds like your cat can have worms. Worms can do that to a cat. Find out from a vet to see what is wrong with your cat.

If you only give him dry food, try giving him wet food (like fancy feast). The wet food may be more appealing to the cat. You can also give him table scraps (the fatty steak/ chicken/ roast beef/ etc. pieces) and if he seems like he wants to, let him lick the bowl of leftover ice cream that you have. It's a good way to get him 'fat' again.

Take your cat to the vet, he probably has worms, which could be caused by eating fleas