joe s asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 decade ago

how do you deal with a sister in-law that thinks that she is the boss of everything?

my sister in-law speaks down to me, I don't know what to because my wifes brother works for me and he is a real nice guy and Iam about to go off on her

Favorite Answer

Your wife's brother isn't your sister-in-law. Tell her to speak to you respectfully or don't speak to you at all.

Wow. I have the same problem with my brothers wife. I had to put her in her place. If your wife's brother is a nice guy he may just let it be between the two of you. You have to go about it tactfully and patiently take the high road but let her know she's crossing the line. That's what I had to do and it's seemed to work for me. But the others in the family who have not stood up for themselves still complain about her evil ways!

Good luck sir! I feel for you.

Can you minimize the amount of time you spend with her? Ignore what she says when you do have to see her. Limit socialization. If anyone questions you about it, simply say you dont get along period. What a shame a nice guy got stuck with her. Not an ideal situation working with relatives though.

Pull her aside and ask her not to speak with you the way she does. She probably feels threatened that you are her husband's boss, and a family memeber. Perhaps a little bit of unhealthy competition coming from her...

She would seem to have a vested interest; she wants to help; and she especially wants to help her hubby and sister inlaw.

That sounds like the way most normal family businesses are.

She may be just one of those people who do .

Smile and say Yes , but take no notice of what she says. At least for now , it's better not to have a confrontation .

• Lisa W

Just tell her to back off. Sometimes polite doesn't get the point across. There are times when you have to be very firm and blunt.

Life is too short to be bossed around. Stand up for yourself and tell her to back off.

Go off at her. It might just wake her up! If she is is the wrong than everyone should understand thats it's not fair for you to have to put up with that.

You should talk to your wifes brother about this and see what he thinks.